Anton58

Dorian

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Mandatory evacuation orders from Dare County for all visitors tomorrow, Sept. 3, at noon. Mandatory evacuation for all residents for 6 am on Wednesday, Sept. 4. Seems a bit early. By tomorrow at noon Dorian will still be off the southern coast of FL. I was expecting perhaps Thursday. 

Evacuation was at noon for visitors. Ocean is calm, picked up 4 drum and a blue this morning. Most, not all, visitors have left. A few locals I spoke to at lunch are a little pissed, scared off some of their income for a couple of days here at the end of the season.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just before it swirled out, Dorian pulled down a good portion of the Avalon pier in Kill Devil Hills today....so sad.

photo by Ben Sproul

benSproul-Avalon-Pier-3x2.jpg

Edited by Cephalopholis

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just heard (but can't confirm) that Nags Head Fishing Pier lost a good chunk as well?!

Anyone have better info?'

Just found out the sad truth:

Outer Banks' Avalon Pier and Nags Head Pier are heavily damaged by Hurricane Dorian

Author: Staff
Published: 3:37 PM EDT September 6, 2019
Updated: 3:37 PM EDT September 6, 2019

Both piers are a bit shorter in the wake of the Category 1 hurricane.

At least two of the fishing piers along North Carolina's Outer Banks suffered heavy damage Friday due to Hurricane Dorian.

Approximately half of Avalon Pier in Kill Devil Hills was swept away by the wind and surf, while about 75 feet from Nags Head Pier was also knocked out, according to OBX TODAY.

Edited by Cephalopholis

With hundreds of people needing evacuation by helicopter, with the damage to infrastructure (a bridge out on Highway 12?) that's accumulating, I wonder how the people complaining about lost tourist money in the OP now feel. 

The OBX have been chewed up by hurricanes before, but it would be interesting to know what percentage of people who refused to leave did so because there's no such thing as global warming and the seas are not getting higher and storms are not getting more intense, so there.  I suspect that there'd be a lot of that, if we could poll the folks who stayed.

So far, I'm not reading of deaths on the OBX. Keep your fingers crossed.

Let's pray all that stayed are well. And keep any discussions of "climate change" beliefs to ourselves. Hardly seems to be the proper time to breach that topic.

With hundreds of people needing evacuation by helicopter, with the damage to infrastructure (a bridge out on Highway 12?) that's accumulating, I wonder how the people complaining about lost tourist money in the OP now feel.

Where did you hear this? I have seen nothing about helicopter evacuations and have never heard of such in the past. NCDOT has not reported any bridge out at this point, only some possible overwash and the S curves held up. Where did you hear about the bridge?

There was an offer to airlift anyone who needed it from Ocracoke and OBX Times reported the Manteo causeway as being closed due to down lines. Perhaps the origin.

2 hours ago, hhager23 said:

The Manteo causeway is closed due to lines being down - not exactly heavy infrastructure damage - according to the OBX times.

I posted in tavern. Manteo website stated flooding in manteo with lines down. Dominion said 33k+ without power.