coastalfreak

Consensus on Old vs New Reels

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I have a 302 I still use a lot for pencils. I like the slow gear ratio. If the drag is upgraded and the planetary system disabled, they become more braid friendly than a 704. The spool lip profile is a bit flatter than a 704.

I've read it several times before, and would like to understand just what makes older reels braid un-friendly? 

Please explain spool lip profile? And any other factors? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 hours ago, cityevader said:

I've read it several times before, and would like to understand just what makes older reels braid un-friendly? 

Please explain spool lip profile? And any other factors? 

It has to do with a combination of the line lay pattern and lacking an instant antireverse.

Some reels lay line in such a way that loops can be pulled off the spool outside the order in which the line was wound on the reel.

When the pattern is wide and the profile caves near the top or bottom.  Wraps of line may loosen by slipping off the edges as the profile dips inward.  (won't happen with mono that stretches)

Not having an instant antireverse allows the wraps to lay a bit looser when starting and stopping the retrieve which is why fireline is the line of choice on older reels when superlines are recommended.  Fireline is very wirey.  And sets around the spool making it very tame.

Spool lip profile really doesn't do much...the line lay is way more important.   Good line lay means you can spool closer to the spool lip.  The closer you spool to the lip.  The less interaction the line has with the lip.  And the less the "profile" even matters.  

Shimano's propulsion lip is nice....Spool right up to the lip of the arbor.  And the wider lip is just protects from slack coils form forming loops above the spool.

Though many apply old habits and spool an 1/8th from it.  Defeating the purpose entirely.

Edited by scoobydoo

Scoob, I've had much better luck with braid on a 302 vs a 704. I always figured it was because the underside lip of a 302 is much flatter further out than a 704. Seemed to me the sweep in the 704 allows line to pull off in clumps easier.

$_1.jpeg

s-l400.jpg