Fall Run

Rate this topic

PCstriper

1 hour ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Been doing well on the SS, its verrrryyyy window-dependent. However the last wind blow we had the other day absolutely messed up the soft structure. Again. Also been seeing a lot more drag netters pretty close to shore.

Curious What do you consider doing well?

18 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Having a good time catching in a planned 30 minute window rather than wasting 4 hours on nothing. At this point, anything is better than nothing. If I happen to bag a big one, even better. 

Spot on, there is this inlet rip ive done extremely well in but only during a 2hr window.

Did you make a comment about a certain NS inlet with bouys recently?

6 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

So many opinions about do this an dont do that, people act like its rocket science or their own life an death unhooking a schoolie.  Getting a hook or two in your hand is part of the game, if your worried about that then fish hardware safer for you, barbless rear treble at the very least. 

Given the choice to have a hook in my hand or not, I think I'll choose the latter ;-).  Keep in mind that there are folks reading these threads that may not have a lot of experience yet.  It may be easy for you or I to release as you describe, but that's not necessarily the case for everyone.  I wouldn't want someone going to the ER because the internet said it wasn't cool to unhook on the sand. 

8 hours ago, vinnyb said:

When that happens it can help to change tactics - the wrong wind/tide at one spot could be the right wind/tide at another.  Time to find the fish again ;-)

Vinny - I think you are spot on...  I had such a great outing at a particular spot, subconsciously I won't let it go. 

Granted I can fish the times I can fish, between work and family ( yadda yadda typical weekend warrior rant ) - night time is best bet for me.

Broke my habit this morning and hit a new SS spot ( moving West ),  showed up after the bite died.. but there was a bite..  different time...different tide...different spot.

Not ashamed to say fellas ... I don't have this fishery anywhere close to figured out.

Sadly for me, my first outing was stellar, so I was walking around asking people to kiss my ring and call me the "Bassmaster" ... have been humbled on my last 3 outings  

2 hours ago, vinnyb said:

Given the choice to have a hook in my hand or not, I think I'll choose the latter ;-).  Keep in mind that there are folks reading these threads that may not have a lot of experience yet.  It may be easy for you or I to release as you describe, but that's not necessarily the case for everyone.  I wouldn't want someone going to the ER because the internet said it wasn't cool to unhook on the sand. 

Cmon, your not a fisherman if your not ripping embedded hooks from deep flesh.  

3 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Vinny - I think you are spot on...  I had such a great outing at a particular spot, subconsciously I won't let it go. 

Granted I can fish the times I can fish, between work and family ( yadda yadda typical weekend warrior rant ) - night time is best bet for me.

Broke my habit this morning and hit a new SS spot ( moving West ),  showed up after the bite died.. but there was a bite..  different time...different tide...different spot.

Not ashamed to say fellas ... I don't have this fishery anywhere close to figured out.

Sadly for me, my first outing was stellar, so I was walking around asking people to kiss my ring and call me the "Bassmaster" ... have been humbled on my last 3 outings  

I believe it is a safe bet to say we have all been humbled by these fish at some point  !

I'm a regular at it, humble pie again  !

(*member formerly known as 'PCSilverstriper')

3 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Sometimes ya gotta switch it up. I did almost the same exact thing today. Same exact conditions as yesterday, different spot, caught 6 keepers in 20 minutes. Yesterday, 2 hours and one 20 incher. 

It happens a lot lol.

ThrowinPlugs, I was out most of the day, the only bumps I got were when I put a bucktail on and let it hit the sand !!!    :dismay: Pretty pitiful ! 

Not totally true, as the tide came in there was a nice trough from about 20 feet out to the lip. My only good hit was right at the lip  no further then the end of my rod. Little schoolie nailed my bottle neck swimmer but I didn't set the hook for fear that if I missed I would get a face full of trebles. 

Edited by PCstriper

(*member formerly known as 'PCSilverstriper')

18 mins ago, PCstriper said:

ThrowinPlugs, I was out most of the day, the only bumps I got were when I put a bucktail on and let it hit the sand !!!    :dismay: Pretty pitiful ! 

Not totally true, as the tide came in there was a nice trough from about 20 feet out to the lip. My only good hit was right at the lip  no further then the end of my rod. Little schoolie nailed my bottle neck swimmer but I didn't set the hook for fear that if I missed I would get a face full of trebles. 

I've been saying it for 3 weeks now, they seem to be very tight grouped this year. Maybe I'm crazy but every time I've been on the beach, north or south, it's a group of guys maybe 100 yards wide catching, while nobody else is. 20 minutes later, they're not catching and now the other guys down the beach are.