PCstriper

Fall Run

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

The fall run will be upon us before you know it, what is everyone doing to get ready ? 

I just pulled some of my stuff out and was shocked to see quite a few of the trebles on my plugs starting to rust ! Even a few where the hooks are crumbling  ! Needless to say I'll be replacing all of the rusted ones and even want to put single siwash hooks on them. I think part of my problem is instead of just crushing the barbs on my trebles I used a dremel and ground the barb flat. I did that because I noticed a few times that my line would get snagged on the crushed barb when it stuck out just a tiny bit. Well that's what I'll be starting with tomorrow, I already gave my reels a thorough cleaning and greased them up yesterday, might need to change some line. I've been using Power Pro 30 lb. test don't have any complaints but do any of you have any recommendations for me to try ? Thanks, looking forward to the fall run ! Good luck and Tight lines to all !

I'm doing the same thing, plus prepping for a trip to Australia in November. Ordering new hooks and split rings, reels are all tuned. I switched over to suffix 832 20 and 30lb for line last year and have been really happy with it's performance, feels smoother than PP and I get less random line breaks. Now that I think about it, since I've switched to the FG knot for line to leader, I've bent hooks before I've broken the main line. 

A "taper saw file" grinds the barbs.

Take caution when fishing, wading with braid.

Ten to twenty pound mono lands big fish.

If you're an advanced fisherman with landing or casting issues.

You might want to think about adding a wind on leader. :)

I start field casting around now with balls and hookless plugs between 1 and 4 ounces. I’ll bring a couple different rods, a spinning reel, a conventional reel, and mix it all up for an hour on my way home.

On 9/2/2019 at 7:03 PM, cheech said:

I start field casting around now with balls and hookless plugs between 1 and 4 ounces. I’ll bring a couple different rods, a spinning reel, a conventional reel, and mix it all up for an hour on my way home.

Why not just go fishing?  The "fall run" begins earlier than you'd think ;-)

if it was like last year the run was 2 weeks ago in the canal..september was  lots of schoolies hopefully different story this september..also give field and stream a try they make a solid braid and fairly reasonable prices

50 mins ago, vinnyb said:

Why not just go fishing?  The "fall run" begins earlier than you'd think ;-)

I kayak fish 2-3 days a week, the practice is for M, in late Sept and Oct.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Will replace the line on my main surf reel, but pretty much set otherwise. May buy a few more epoxy jigs. Replaced most trebles with inline singles already, and crushed barbs a few weeks ago.

Edited by C.Robin

This time of year I try to find a stronger coffee. 

But honestly right now I'm sharpening hooks, tying leaders I'm out of/running low on and changing my wasing boot laces. Otherwise I'm set. 

Also, as for braid recommendations I've had nothing but excellent luck with J braid x8 and Sufix 832 20-50lbs. Zero issues that weren't user/store staff related.

On 9/2/2019 at 11:16 AM, PCstriper said:

The fall run will be upon us before you know it, what is everyone doing to get ready ? 

I just pulled some of my stuff out and was shocked to see quite a few of the trebles on my plugs starting to rust ! Even a few where the hooks are crumbling  ! Needless to say I'll be replacing all of the rusted ones and even want to put single siwash hooks on them. I think part of my problem is instead of just crushing the barbs on my trebles I used a dremel and ground the barb flat. I did that because I noticed a few times that my line would get snagged on the crushed barb when it stuck out just a tiny bit. Well that's what I'll be starting with tomorrow, I already gave my reels a thorough cleaning and greased them up yesterday, might need to change some line. I've been using Power Pro 30 lb. test don't have any complaints but do any of you have any recommendations for me to try ? Thanks, looking forward to the fall run ! Good luck and Tight lines to all !

Just bought a new ODM and trying to find the right reel. This will be my first year fishing from the north shore during the fall so Ill have a lot to learn. Im sure

8 hours ago, GarbageFish said:

Spent the past few weeks with the wife to make up for not seeing me until thanksgiving.

^^^This^^^  Ever since early June my wife keeps asking "why are you staying home with the kids?, why arent you fishing?, this is the longest I've seen you without a rod, what is wrong?" I tell her, just remember all these days when I didnt go, because come fall, I'll be on the beach by myself at 1 am every other night.   ; ) 

Tactics beyond the water are the way of the fisherman.

36 mins ago, FishinDVM said:

^^^This^^^  Ever since early June my wife keeps asking "why are you staying home with the kids?, why arent you fishing?, this is the longest I've seen you without a rod, what is wrong?" I tell her, just remember all these days when I didnt go, because come fall, I'll be on the beach by myself at 1 am every other night.   ; )