Solman65

First Surf Rod/Reel Combo

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

New here and new to surf fishing 

looking for opinions/reviews on surf rod/reel combo. I plan on using on Jersey beaches and jetty fishing.

I am considering Penn Battle II 6000 9ft

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Penn Battle II Combo is an excellent setup, heavy enough to throw larger plugs,metals,or for baitfishing,but not too heavy for throwing lighter lures,would get a spare spool too,put 14 Fireline on one for schoolie bass and smaller blues and 20lb Fireline  when bigger fish are around or throwing bait,the stock rod that comes with that combo is very impressive,casts a mile,its the least expensive rod i own and its becoming my favorite,better than most $100-200 rods,just be sure to pack that reel with grease,try not to dunk it and wash it down with freshwater after ever use,good luck with it!!

Edited by relentless pursuit

For jersey beaches I am familiar with in south jersey for a first and only rod I would go with 10’ or 10’6” rod rated  around 1-5 oz.  the beaches are flat requiring longer casts and longer rods keep more line out of the wash.  Penn battle is ok if you keep it out of the water.  Rod rated 1-5 should be ok for casting lures and also work for fishing bait for everything from whiting to stripers.   Star stellar lite, Tica or some of the rods by penn would make a reasonable starter rod that would give good service. 

On second thought given that the battle combo only costs about $30 more than the reel alone you may as well get the combo and see if after you use it some whether you want another different rod for different conditions or locations.  I would start with the 10’ combo though. 6000 reel is plenty big enough for at least 11’ rod.  

Penn Battle II 6000 9ft is a great combo. If you're looking for bait and or plug rod that would determine. But I have a 9' tica paired with a Daiwa reel and it is awesome - supports 1/2 to 3 ounces.

I would go with a 4500 series with a 9-10ft medium rod (1/2-2oz range) for lures only.  30lb braid or 14lb fireline.

I would go with a 5500 series reel and a 10ft medium heavy rod for combination lures and bait with 4oz of lead or so.  (3/4-4oz range).   If bait fishing will be often, consider a live liner reel.  20lb fireline, 30lb braid ok.

Bait only really.  Then go with a 6500 series reel with 20 or 25lb mono and a 10-11ft rod rateds for 2-6oz heavy action.

I've been happy with tsunami rods.    However, an ugly stick is a good bait rod.  Penn batalion has been good for my girlfriends kid.  I really like my ande ats700 7ft surf rod for my close in jetty or surf bait rod / boat rod.    I'd get an ats900 9ft in a heartbeat if I need another one rod does it all.  Bought 8 and 10ft heavy ugly stick rods, so that spot is filled for me.

Mono is much forgiving on heavy weight casts, wind knots alot less, gets untangled from line crosses alot easier.   Also, some people think mono self hooksets to an extent when the bite happens while in a rod holder.   

Read up on how to spool line on a spinning reel, learn and practice basic knots like a uniknot, a snell, trilene knot, and maybe a dropper loop.   Also, read up on reading surf.  It'll show you where to fish.  Moving over 100 ft to one side can have a huge difference.  Or, walking the beach till you find some good rips can pay off too...

3/4-2oz bucktail on surf, 2-4oz bucktails in an inlet possibly more if depths are past 30ft, SP minnow, daimond jig, 1/0 and 3/0 hooks for tog, fluke, and sea bass, 5/0-8/0 hooks for blues and bass,2-4oz pyramid sinkers for surf, 1 to 4oz bank sinkers for jettys.   Bluefish around?  Make sure you got some 50lb leader material or a steel leader.

On 9/1/2019 at 1:47 PM, Solman65 said:

looking for opinions/reviews on surf rod/reel combo. I plan on using on Jersey beaches and jetty fishing.

been running a spinfisher vi 4500 and daiwa emcast 8ft/9ft/10ft most of the year. nice cheap lightweight setup, and the spinfisher is sealed which is nice. The new shimano spheroes inshore is a nice new sealed reel for $120 as well. i would stick in the 4000 size range for reels, at 5000 alot of them get considerably heavier. 

On 9/1/2019 at 1:47 PM, Solman65 said:

Do yourself a favor and get a somewhat sealed reel like a slammer III or Saragossa. I prefer the Saragosa, it's much lighter. Anyway both of these reels have been maintenance free for me for a while now and I am pretty rough on them. They get splashed, dunked and dropped in sand all the time. No issues. I just rinse and repeat, all smooth as new.

Been fishing the same combo your talking about for a few years now (not extensively, I’m more of a weekend warrior) but it’s been awesome to me. Reel is fabulous. I’ve used it in the surf and off piers and the shore. It’s gotten lightly splashed with water and I must admit I barely rinse it. I think it would be a great first setup. You could always ditch the rod and buy a new one, using the old one as a backup. @scoobydoo is your guy for a surf reel. A lot of the other guys on here fish a lot more than I do so they can provide much better info.