UncleJohn

September 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

319 posts in this topic

Sunday morning OC out front. Lots of small bait jumping and snappers cruising the surf. Caught some on a small kastmaster than then sent back out on a circle hook hoping for a keeper fluke. Managed one good-sized hit but lost him. Later on got a roughly 16 inch fluke on a bucktail.

Went back out that evening to fish the incoming tide. Caught some larger snappers and a spanish mackerel. The mackerel's stomach was filled with what looked like small peanut bunker. 

41 mins ago, lastcast21 said:

Nice fish! Can Sheepshead be found in MoCo?

Sheepshead can be found up by NY hence sheepshead bay but have been scarce due to bad water quality. I have caught small ones in raritan bay by accident.

No bait at first stop this morning out back cmc, plenty at the 2nd. Unfortunately wasn't much chasing them for the end of outgoing. Couple of 2"-3" snappers mixed in the net with the peanuts which were a little larger today. Probably back out in the morning. 

Fished some MoCo rockpiles Sunday from 5:00am - 11:00am Fished the incoming tide. Started out with the biggest stargazer I ever caught on a ripple paddle tail on a 1 oz jighead It had to go almost 10lbs and  it never had the chance to bury itself until it hit the beach. I found out later that they are great eating, oh well. Switched to a 1oz Spro slow sinking bucktail with a teaser and  gulp. Caught two schoolie stripers probably around 23 inches each and 5 fluke, all shorts. One was worth measuring but came up 17 inches.  I missed a few hits, one that was probably another striper. Stripers hit when I quickened my retrieve and swam the bucktail closer to the surface. Saw a lot of bait in the water but couldnt tell what it was. Wind was a PIA, couldnt punch anything out in the NE wind, but it didnt matter. There was so much whitewater to fish.

On 9/2/2019 at 0:22 PM, MC55 said:

Surf was kicking up this morning and even at low tide it looked really good.  Started out throwing the white swimmer and pulled in one little guy around 20 inched or so.  Thought that was a good sign but could get another touch after that all morning.  Sent out some bugs too with no success.  No snappers around either which seemed a bit odd.  At least I didn't get any tails chopped off.  This will be the last report from me for a couple of weeks.  Heading off to Alaska with the wife in the morning returning on the 18th.  Hope when I get back the mullet run is in full swing and the albies are crashing the sand.  Later everybody!

Enjoy Alaska MC! Beautiful and sad to see Glacier Bay receding. 

Put about an hour and a half in this afternoon in MoCo. No bluefish today, and I was able to connect with a good amount of (short) fluke. Only two worth measuring, but both came up short.

one spit this up. My first inclination was the first mullet of the year, but its mouth made it look more like a kingfish.

Any ideas? 

B3347B44-388D-4128-AD0B-AD481E95C6DC.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Out front Ocean Co today was epic! Blitzes up and down the beaches *. ALBIES and BONITO were everywhere feeding on small rain baits with the occasional 5lb blue. All my fish were taken on either and AVA or Hogy epoxy jig. 

Edited by TimS
That’s specific enough already :-)

23 mins ago, kkillie9 said:

Out front Ocean Co today was epic! Blitzes up and down the beaches *. ALBIES and BONITO were everywhere feeding on small rain baits with the occasional 5lb blue. All my fish were taken on either and AVA or Hogy epoxy jig. 

Hmm. 

Caught bait at the first stop this morning out back cmc. Didn't see anything around chasing them. Threw bait at the 2nd stop, didn't have anything chasing it. :skunk: