UncleJohn

September 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

319 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Was out this morning out front and couldnt get a bite from a bass. Oddly because the white water in spots looked very good. Maybe I was not working a spot long enough but usually I get hit when they are around. Blues still making their presence known and some with size are around, low and slow produced larger when they are around in good numbers. With the hard sweep I didn't try fluking and left the beach as the crowds came in and will save my arm for another day. Have been seeing the peanuts pretty heavy also in the wash along with mole crabs.

Was nice hanging with Yak this morning. And dont forget survival of the fittest. Blues eating blues

this was coughed up when i unhooked one

Baby blue getting destroyed by bigger bluefish!

44E9570E-1431-459C-9327-973B49A8A781.jpeg

Surf was kicking up this morning and even at low tide it looked really good.  Started out throwing the white swimmer and pulled in one little guy around 20 inched or so.  Thought that was a good sign but could get another touch after that all morning.  Sent out some bugs too with no success.  No snappers around either which seemed a bit odd.  At least I didn't get any tails chopped off.  This will be the last report from me for a couple of weeks.  Heading off to Alaska with the wife in the morning returning on the 18th.  Hope when I get back the mullet run is in full swing and the albies are crashing the sand.  Later everybody!

1 hour ago, Loudog99 said:

Thanks, Rich.  Love Howell, been here for 12 years.  I actually used to be very active on the board until my hotmail account perished about 10 yrs ago.  Even attended a fall fly fling.

Shoot me an email - tims@stripersonline.com - and let me know what your username or email address was and I’ll help you get logged in :)

TimS

1 hour ago, TimS said:

Shoot me an email - tims@stripersonline.com - and let me know what your username or email address was and I’ll help you get logged in :)

TimS

Hi Tim,

I had the same username and had updated my email address somewhere along the way.  Just hadn’t posted in quite some time so just reset my password 2 days ago.  Thanks for the offer to get me sorted out.  Will send you a PM.

Abundance of 1-2lb blues on the beach the past weeks have made fluking a losing battle for me. Have managed a few here and there, but its getting hard to rationalize fishing with gulp when sometimes the blues make it so you need two bags a trip.

Last night out front MoCo had all the blues I wanted. Switched from the bucktail to a 007 and had at them for an hour or so. 

On my way home from work this afternoon decided to stop by the beach for a half hour. Just one sea robin, and a ~20” (probably a bit shorter) striper to show for it. 81068AD6-F052-46DB-A334-CF3F9D6E7E64.jpeg.b9e1d721d5585b691f915300fcef72b7.jpeg

AM Spring Lake area 1 fluke on a bucktail. Saw a lot of police old-timer told me about the teenager yesterday, sorry to hear about their loss, hope he is recovered to give the family closure. Looked around just in case and called it a morning. Suds only ID the spot because of the situation not to break the rules.

2 hours ago, MC55 said:

Surf was kicking up this morning and even at low tide it looked really good.  Started out throwing the white swimmer and pulled in one little guy around 20 inched or so.  Thought that was a good sign but could get another touch after that all morning.  Sent out some bugs too with no success.  No snappers around either which seemed a bit odd.  At least I didn't get any tails chopped off.  This will be the last report from me for a couple of weeks.  Heading off to Alaska with the wife in the morning returning on the 18th.  Hope when I get back the mullet run is in full swing and the albies are crashing the sand.  Later everybody!

Be safe, have fun, and rest up! I expect a report on the 19th. Just kidding

54 mins ago, jrzyripper said:

Out back in OC. Lots of bait and lots of fish. Best one of the night. 

32FF9D84-9183-4963-A400-5B95A0DCEA96.jpeg

So that's where the stripers went.... hmmmm. Hard up here in Moco. We have all the bait they want too.

7 hours ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Was mentioned in last months thread. They are call salps. Can be pretty darn long and were thick a few weeks ago with the first on shore winds.

Thanks.  I didn’t do a search because I didn’t  know what word to search!

Just now, Sam3631 said:

Thanks.  I didn’t do a search because I didn’t  know what word to search!

They can be a pain in the arse for sure surf fishing. Things can grow pretty long. This year they seemed heavier than usual in certain spots. Gives the netters a huge problem weighing their nets down so in a way the salps help keep the netters away!

Nice.  Here’s a Wikipedia explanation.

One reason for the success of salps is how they respond to phytoplankton blooms. When food is plentiful, salps can quickly bud off clones, which graze the phytoplankton and can grow at a rate which is probably faster than that of any other multicellular animal, quickly stripping the phytoplankton from the sea. But if the phytoplankton is too dense, the salps can clog and sink to the bottom. During these blooms, beaches can become slimy with mats of salp bodies, and other planktonic species can experience fluctuations in their numbers due to competition with the salps.

8B3E0EA5-16AB-4129-848F-F3DBE23A3A41.jpeg

Headed down to south Jersey to try for some sheepshead this past weekend. Collected a bucket of crabs before sunup and my way to some bridges. Landed 2 sheepshead largest was 25.5" - 14lbs, the second was around 17".  Also landed a 17" striper on crab.

Headed to the back bays yesterday from the yak. Was able to cast net some peanuts after searching for a couple hours.  Landed a 22" flounder and a 18" weakie on live snapper blues. Couldn't get any bites on gulp, they wanted live.

sheep.jpg

18 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

Headed down to south Jersey to try for some sheepshead this past weekend. Collected a bucket of crabs before sunup and my way to some bridges. Landed 2 sheepshead largest was 25.5" - 14lbs, the second was around 17".  Also landed a 17" striper on crab.

Headed to the back bays yesterday from the yak. Was able to cast net some peanuts after searching for a couple hours.  Landed a 22" flounder and a 18" weakie on live snapper blues. Couldn't get any bites on gulp, they wanted live.

sheep.jpg

That's a monster