UncleJohn

September 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

319 posts in this topic

Different spot for bait this morning out back cmc. Should have went to one spot but chose a different path and got the skunk. No bites until the last 10 mins when i got robbed of a peanut then had another almost lose its face. Back out tomorrow.

11 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

Its albie time John.  

I have been out with my Steelhead rod trying for a while now ...   So far..  1 Spanish Mackerel and a bunch of Cocktail Blues ....

Still looking for Albies and Bonito.     I would be cool to get into more Spanish Mackerel too..

No mo. Sunup til about 10:30. 20” fluke on an sp minnow at first light then the usual itty bitty blues and fluke. Released the fluke. Didn’t feel like towing it around all day!  Chased some birds moving south on the way home but it was just more blues.  

Out back. Moco. Blues blitzen but a  bit far out. Landed 3. Decent size. 3, 4 pounders.. Mullet are in. Jonesin for a bass. They are in the fray somewhere.. 

Edited by joefishnj21

Fished off a friends boat yesterday, off shore out of Cape May, 1 fish short of a 3 man limit, 8 in the box up to 24", all nice size keepers. Best trip this year. :) :th:

Got out yesterday afternoon and picked away at blues and fluke. The blues are starting to get a bit bigger out front it seems. Got out again early in the afternoon today as well, and 3 casts in I landed a nice fat keeper fluke. Cut the trip short right there and had it for lunch. When i cleaned the fluke, there was a small snapper and about 5 tiny calicos in its stomach

Got out again tonight, 2 bass. 1 close to a keeper, 1 around 20 inches. Both safely released. Saw one mackerel/bonito/whatever the heck get airborne about 15 feet away from me, but no luck on that front. All in MoCo.

Waited for the last high tide of the day to hit the beautiful backside of the MoCo fishing grounds. light offshore breeze, water was clean and clear.   I  wasn't disappointed,  blues, weak fish, small fluke. the deadly dick was the hot hand I thought.  Tossed: buck tales 1 , 2 oz.,  dark/green, white swim shads, nada.  I had some swim shads left over from last year, and wouldn't mind a few tails chomped. But the snapper blues wanted bait or clean metal.   The bait guys did ok.  The ones using peanuts did better than spearing I thought.   Like most here, I was fishing for the bigger prey that hadn't shown just yet.  The highlight was at the last light of the day, the snapper bite was calming down, and the day shift was leaving and the seeder element of the night time fish-o-buckets was approaching.  By then, I tossed just about everything in my bag.  To my surprise  the 2 weak fish in the 16" size hit a white gotcha plug.   I tried fast retrieve and slow.   But the very slow retrieve, a few little jerks here and there caught.   Some folks around me didn't even know what kind of fish I caught, kept telling me it was a blue fish.  I took the time, and showed them the difference.  I had to leart dem kids.   It Was really nice to catch those, I have not seen weak fish around in a few years, and they were good size. 

Overnight wind changed browned things up a bit out back cmc. 1st bait spot was empty, 2nd was loaded up but everything was stacked up in a corner and nothing in the channel. Saw a couple snappers coming in and out of the crowd but nothing bigger around. Got my share and hit another spot. Guy there before me said he hadn't caught anything but all his peanuts were dead in the bucket. Well my live peanuts didn't do any better. Got snagged on someones left behind line, broken off from another snag, then only hit i got was probably a crab after seeing where it tried to grab the tail. Might get out tomorrow.