UncleJohn

September 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

315 posts in this topic

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........

Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

Been mostly lurking for quite a while so figured I would reset my password and join the fun.  Hit up a SoMoCo beach this am from 6:30-8:30.  Nice looking water with 3-4 surf, but loaded with tiny jellyfish or what my surfing buddies used to call bluefish eggs.  Stuff was coating my line on every cast.

Started with floating sand fleas rigged on a size 2 baitholder hook with 2 size 3 split shot about 10” up.  Hit a 16” fluke on my first cast, 15’ off the sand, which is usually the kiss of death.  But, 4 casts later I hit a decent striped one of about 27” and fat. Not the healthiest looking fish with a few lesions.  Switched it up and put on a 1/2 oz chartreuse bucktail/gulp with a gulp teaser and managed one more short fluke on the jig.

Not a bad morning and I was able to break in my newly finished custom rod. Built on a Mudhole 7.5 ML CRB rod and it appears that it will be a great fluke and schoolie rod.

C281649F-2558-4B56-B476-C9BAD72DC987.jpeg

Fished sundown last night back of RB . Peanut bunker everywhere and something slashing through them. Threw everything at them , I was in them, under them, around them and no takers. Tons of bait around gonna try again tonight.

Tons of bait in my favorite river to kayak fish in OC out back. Managed a few fluke and cocktails once sunlight. Was marking big fish near a canal and had one nice run, but off with nothing to show but a ruined eel fly. 

MoCo 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM    I went to a popular inlet today.  The water looked pretty clean and there o lot of small bait fish milling about the rocks in the inlet.   I wasn't exactly sure but it looked like anchovies.  They were smaller than the Sprearing that I have been seeing lately.    They would scatter and jump every time I pulled my lure thru the school.   Unfortunately there were no noticeable signs of predators around.  I tried on the other side of the Jetty but the strong northeast wind made fishing this side of the jetty tough.    The wind would cut my casting distance considerably and would put a bow in my line so I had trouble maintaining good contact with my lure.  I tried to compensate for the wind and choppy water by switching to a heavier jig and keeping my rod tip down and letting my lure sink a little before starting my retrieve.   On one cast, I let the lure sink a bit longer and then when I started the retrieve, the line came tight.  Felt like dead weight at first but then it came alive as I got it in closer.   It was a Sea Robin, first time I caught one on a Metal jig.  I didn't have any other luck on the rough side so I went back to the lee side.    I noticed that after the tide turned, I didn't see any of the bait that I saw earlier.   Where did they go ..   Anyway, As I was casting into the inlet, a boat came roaring around the jetty and into the inlet at full throttle.    I started reeling like crazy to try to get my lure in before the boat came by, but then my drag started screaming...  and then my line went slack ....    I started reeling in the slack and was surprised to see that the jig was still there.  It had some deep gouges on it and a bunch of black seaweed on the hooks but otherwise it was ok....    I stayed for about another half hour but it was dead except for the Flukers getting short fluke.    Well I actually did see 2 keeper fluke caught today.    

22 hours ago, Loudog99 said:

Been mostly lurking for quite a while so figured I would reset my password and join the fun.  Hit up a SoMoCo beach this am from 6:30-8:30.  Nice looking water with 3-4 surf, but loaded with tiny jellyfish or what my surfing buddies used to call bluefish eggs.  Stuff was coating my line on every cast.

Started with floating sand fleas rigged on a size 2 baitholder hook with 2 size 3 split shot about 10” up.  Hit a 16” fluke on my first cast, 15’ off the sand, which is usually the kiss of death.  But, 4 casts later I hit a decent striped one of about 27” and fat. Not the healthiest looking fish with a few lesions.  Switched it up and put on a 1/2 oz chartreuse bucktail/gulp with a gulp teaser and managed one more short fluke on the jig.

Not a bad morning and I was able to break in my newly finished custom rod. Built on a Mudhole 7.5 ML CRB rod and it appears that it will be a great fluke and schoolie rod.

Welcome Loudog99, I grew up in Howell

23 hours ago, Loudog99 said:

Welcome aboard loudog. Nice report. 

Central-Northern OC out front early yesterday morning and this morning.

Water was pretty rough and lots of white water.  My line kept getting covered with a gelatinous and sometimes fibrous substance.  It would ride up the braid and collect at the tip of the rod.  It was sticky, also.  It caused 2 wind knots, together with the pretty strong winds.  It was almost as if a million of those clear jellyfish exploded into little pieces.  If I shook the rod enough it would come off the line to a degree but not completely.

I have been swimming or fishing in the ocean for many years and don’t remember seeing this stuff.

Anybody know what it is and why it’s around?

Was out this morning out front and couldnt get a bite from a bass. Oddly because the white water in spots looked very good. Maybe I was not working a spot long enough but usually I get hit when they are around. Blues still making their presence known and some with size are around, low and slow produced larger when they are around in good numbers. With the hard sweep I didn't try fluking and left the beach as the crowds came in and will save my arm for another day. Have been seeing the peanuts pretty heavy also in the wash along with mole crabs.

3 hours ago, richie c said:

Welcome Loudog99, I grew up in Howell

Thanks, Rich.  Love Howell, been here for 12 years.  I actually used to be very active on the board until my hotmail account perished about 10 yrs ago.  Even attended a fall fly fling.