Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeBlue

Canal Edges

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm wondering how productive the water 30'-40'  from the edge and in would be if I wasn't ripping my lure through it on the retrieve. I'm usually worried that my plug, jig or rubber shad will be swept into the rocks or bubbleweed so I usually have a high speed retrieve going on. If the bait is hugging the edge it seems like the bass would be active there. But it seems like a tough zone to fish especially with a stiff tide.

Edited by MikeBlue

1 hour ago, MikeBlue said:

I'm wondering how productive the water 30'-40'  from the edge and in would be if I wasn't ripping my lure through it on the retrieve. I'm usually worried that my plug, jig or rubber shad will be swept into the rocks or bubbleweed so I usually have a high speed retrieve going on. If the bait is hugging the edge it seems like the bass would be active there. But it seems like a tough zone to fish especially with a stiff tide.

A very good portion of my fish come on the retrieve at rhe end of my sweep when jigging . A lot of times it's no more then 30 feet from the edge 

I'm wondering if I should short cast more, just flip it out there 50'-60' so I don't have to worry about the current taking my lure so far down stream that I risk getting it caught up in the rocks or weed. Especially with plugs and shads.

Edited by MikeBlue

That's all part of learning the canal. Some areas the drop off is 20 ft some places it's 100 ft or more depending on the tide. You must make sacrifices to the canal gods to learn.

I've had enough hits, or caught fish, while burning in my jig that I now do a progressively faster retrieve rather than an all out fast retrieve.

At the end of my jig I'll start retrieving in my jig at a steady pace, then every few cranks of the reel, I'll reel it in a little quicker. It's not until late in the retrieve that I really burn it in. I do this in hopes of extending the appeal of my lure as long as possible.

I'll also take a break from jigging to work a lure like a Bomber or an SP minnow in the current break close to the rocks to see if there are any fish hanging in that space.

Edited by zak-striper