Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
capequahog

Old Harbor Rescue

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

ANDWICH — A 67-year-old fisherman who was reportedly swept out to sea early Saturday morning was in serious condition after being in the water for close to an hour, according to a Sandwich fire official.

At 5:48 a.m., rescuers responded to a man in distress near the Old Harbor entrance at Town Neck Beach, according to a statement from the Fire Department.

The man was fishing wearing waders when he went under and was dragged out to sea, witnesses said.

The fire department and the U.S. Coast Guard launched rescue boats and found that a kayaker had helped the man. The fisherman was then picked up by the Coast Guard and brought ashore at Sandwich Marina, where he was subsequently brought by the Fire Department to Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital in Plymouth

I hope he pulls through OK.

I’m always nervous when I’m wearing waders in the surf or on a jetty and I’ve got a fishing PFD that I wear all the time. Because it has pockets that I use for gear, it’s very easy for me to remember to put it on. 

unfortunately this is a close friend and fishing buddy.He is in ICU,but hopefully he will out of ICU tomorrow.no matter how expierenced you are,things happen,stay safe and don't panic if you do get in trouble

20 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

unfortunately this is a close friend and fishing buddy.He is in ICU,but hopefully he will out of ICU tomorrow.no matter how expierenced you are,things happen,stay safe and don't panic if you do get in trouble

I just got off the phone with the senior angler and he said he spoke with him at the hospital and he's out of the ICU and is recovering still in the hospital.If anyone knows whom the kayaker is we're looking to speak with him.Please contact myself or l.i. fish.in.vt.Sir,you truly saved a man life.

Update......................He's been released from the hospital and is in pretty good spirits while resting up at home.The medical help and rescue personnel were all top notch.Thank you, thank you.We're still on the look out for the kayaker who was there to save him.

2 mins ago, theshadow said:

Update......................He's been released from the hospital and is in pretty good spirits while resting up at home.The medical help and rescue personnel were all top notch.Thank you, thank you.We're still on the look out for the kayaker who was there to save him.

that's great to hear!