Wilgabeast

shark fishing from beach

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of going to try it tonight . Can anyone be kind enough to dm me and give me an idea where to try. I went off Falmouth beach a few weeks ago but want to try new and deeper water . Thanks in advance 

I don’t fish your area so don’t have any suggestions other than to look on google earth / maps and try to find an area. 

Usually it’s pretty easy to get a sense of depth and various structure. Pretty amazing resource.

When the water is warm and you're night fishing i wouldn't necessarily try and find the deepest water. Holes are good of course but all my shark action has come on shallow beaches relatively

Season is pretty much over. You might get lucky and get into a fish or maybe two but there are 4 of us who do it on a regular basis and we have packed it in for the year. Latest we have ever caught from the beach is sept 6. Good luck next season 

20 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

20180920_011025.jpg.6cc6380c8298fd44e594401f0abef9db.jpgI got this one from a cape shore spot September 19th last year. It might still be worth trying for another week at least. 

thats awesome.  must have been a fun catch.  how do you go about taking the hook out with a beast like that ?

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 hours ago, KujoRasta said:

thats awesome.  must have been a fun catch.  how do you go about taking the hook out with a beast like that ?

I am by no means the expert on dealing with these fish. I know and fish with guys much more experienced than myself at targeting sharks and they always have a long wire dehooker and a strong pair of pliers to deal with removing the hook. We also use circle hooks with the barbs removed which makes releasing the sharks much easier. The real key is teamwork. You should always have at least two guys working on a shark to control the leader, control the fish, help open the mouth, etc. 

The interesting side story related to that shark in the picture is that I wasn't able to follow any of the rules I suggested above. Rather than targeting sharks that night I was skishing a boulder field, throwing eels for bass. The area I was fishing has quite a population of sharks and its not uncommon to hook up on one or two a night while eeling for bass. Normally they either bite through the leader or maneuver into heavy boulders or current and break off. With this little one however I was able to get back off rock and "chase" it down in the water until I was able to get to a better rock to fight it. Unfortunately I couldn't land or unhook the shark from that rock so and I ended up back in the water "buddy swimming" that shark to shore. Quick unhook, pictures and that fish was on its way. And yes my friends and family do think I'm an idiot.

20181209_201440.jpg.364506acf2c148209ea53f81a73e68b6.jpg20180707_235611.jpg.eeaf04688ab34ed3174849d1dbedbd9e.jpg20181211_174026.jpg.49ebaf418e60b2a6b3206d21e87b0418.jpg

Edited by Sandbar1