codfish

That's a lot of people for 8/31 and no fish

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

18 mins ago, TimS said:

I can't remember ever going fishing and not fishing the entire time I was near the water...just seems weird :squid:

I find myself doing it more and more. Get up at 2am and go my my fav place, and find 20 guys shoulder to shoulder. Plan B, go to my second fav place, 35 guys. Plan C, 35 guys.

By this time I've lost interest. Rather than wearing out my arteries brooding, it's too easy to find a bench, enjoy a coffee and watch. Sometimes life's too short for this nonsense. After all, it's only a fish. 

3 mins ago, bob_G said:

I find myself doing it more and more. Get up at 2am and go my my fav place, and find 20 guys shoulder to shoulder. Plan B, go to my second fav place, 35 guys. Plan C, 35 guys.

By this time I've lost interest. Rather than wearing out my arteries brooding, it's too easy to find a bench, enjoy a coffee and watch. Sometimes life's too short for this nonsense. After all, it's only a fish. 

I have very little interest in trying to elbow my way into a crowd to fight over fish...but I'd go somewhere else and fish before just sitting and watching :) Never got much excitement outta watching other people fish...probably why I don't watch and fishing shows or fishing on YouTube :bucktooth:

TimS

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

"Get up at 2am" and I thought 5 AM was early:laugh::laugh:

6 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Agreed.

Some of that comes with being satiated after a long hardcore career. We're just not hungry enough to put up with less fish and more crowd.

20 years ago I had no trouble fighting for a spot in the worst crowds.

Mouth of a certain river, last 2 hours of drop, on the sand bar.

A certain big rock pile in RI where Albert rules.

It seemed worth it to me then.

Now, even those mad canal videos don't tempt me. My own kid went down and hit a blitz of bigs and still I'm not tempted. 

I'm down to less than a dozen trips per season, many of those for the kid, or just to hang out.

This year I've landed less than 20 bass, only one "keeper" (I quit eating em years ago), and don't mind. In fact I'm passing on invites.

I'm not done by any means. I'll never stop going to the ocean. But my desire to chase stripers has ebbed considerably. 

I’m 27 and I just bought a new setup but my desire is shot already. You lasted a lot longer than I have. And it’s not even about the fact that there isn’t much decent fish around. Striped fishing just isn’t what it use to be. Doesn’t feel fun or enjoyable anymore even when the bite is hot. 

3 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

I’m 27 and I just bought a new setup but my desire is shot already. You lasted a lot longer than I have. And it’s not even about the fact that there isn’t much decent fish around. Striped fishing just isn’t what it use to be. Doesn’t feel fun or enjoyable anymore even when the bite is hot. 

Take a light plugging rod, a handful of mambo minnows, small mag darters and little needlefish - find a quiet, dark beach on a nice calm night - and walk....and cast...and walk. If you see anyone else, keep walking...sometimes removing the pressure of worrying about who’s gonna cast over your shoulder or tangle you up or see you land a fish and call all their friends really helps remind you of what it is about fishing that’s awesome :)

TimS

36 mins ago, codfish said:

"Get up at 2am" and I thought 5 AM was early:laugh::laugh:

Codfish,

Keep in mind, I'm fishing 1/4 mile from my home.  That's often the time you have to get up if you hope to find a place to fish at dawn.

1 min ago, TimS said:

Take a light plugging rod, a handful of mambo minnows, small mag darters and little needlefish - find a quiet, dark beach on a nice calm night - and walk....and cast...and walk. If you see anyone else, keep walking...sometimes removing the pressure of worrying about who’s gonna cast over your shoulder or tangle you up or see you land a fish and call all their friends really helps remind you of what it is about fishing that’s awesome :)

TimS

You know. I tried fluking  for the first time in my life this year and was able to wade out away from fishermen except all the hooligans on boats and kayaks. The fact that I was able to fish alone without worrying about anyone else fishing around me helped me get through the last  month. 

Just now, bob_G said:

Codfish,

Keep in mind, I'm fishing 1/4 mile from my home.  That's often the time you have to get up if you hope to find a place to fish at dawn.

Notice he said “hope” lmfao last year I saw guys waiting for the opening blitz at the railroad bridge at CCC at 8pm the night before

1 hour ago, Captain Tuttle said:

To paraphrase Jack Gartside, "Any idiot can fish the canal.  Why would anyone want to fish the canal."

It was amazing when I could drive there from NJ, fish the exact rock I wanted to fish at the exact tide I wanted to be there and the only hooligans I might run into over night would be Ditch Jigger or Bassmaster or JPowers or Slipknot. We could go from spot to spot throughout the night and fish the spots as the tide was good for those spots - all night long. It was noteworthy when someone was already where you wanted to be. No casting over shoulders, no idiots on cell phones, no go pro social media heroes. Just guys fishing when there weren’t blitzes on top and fish committing suicide on anything that passes their faces. Those will be know as the good ole’ days now :)

TimS

5 mins ago, TimS said:

It was amazing when I could drive there from NJ, fish the exact rock I wanted to fish at the exact tide I wanted to be there and the only hooligans I might run into over night would be Ditch Jigger or Bassmaster or JPowers or Slipknot. We could go from spot to spot throughout the night and fish the spots as the tide was good for those spots - all night long. It was noteworthy when someone was already where you wanted to be. No casting over shoulders, no idiots on cell phones, no go pro social media heroes. Just guys fishing when there weren’t blitzes on top and fish committing suicide on anything that passes their faces. Those will be know as the good ole’ days now :)

TimS

Tim,

All of what you say is true. The only thing I'd differ with you on is the top water blitzes. 

There were blitzes. Daytime blitzes. For decades. The only thing was, there were only a few guys around fishing them, and it wasn't talked about. Most guys were local, fishing before work. Get up at 330, fish till 730, go home, clean up and go to work. Many times my buddy and I left insane fishing because work came first. 

I spent Sunday on a remote pond in VT fly fishing for native brookies.  I felt crowded by the two other guys on the pond.  I feel bad for all the Ditch Trolls who lost something special.  

9 hours ago, bob_G said:

Tim,

All of what you say is true. The only thing I'd differ with you on is the top water blitzes. 

There were blitzes. Daytime blitzes. For decades. The only thing was, there were only a few guys around fishing them, and it wasn't talked about. Most guys were local, fishing before work. Get up at 330, fish till 730, go home, clean up and go to work. Many times my buddy and I left insane fishing because work came first. 

So true how many time were blitzes left due to work - but it did not matter as it was an enjoyable morning.   Now you are lucky to get a spot so I have gone full night mode but miss the morning tides for sure.     

Tper

15 mins ago, capesams said:

the city has found the cape.....thank god I got to live the old days and have those memories to keep me company.

Steve many of us that once prowled the shore line of the canal and outer beaches will never ever again wittiness the great fishing experiences where you needed to plan ahead to determine the best place to set up for the evening tide or the morning  breaking tide . We do have the memories locked away in our minds that often get triggered when certain words are spoken or heard. The experiences of a life time often recorded in some journal or local web site helps to remind us of those times . I often go back to some of the those recordings of fishing history to  reengage my memory cell of those days and at times it is so disheartening to see the warnings we declared back in those times still being spouted today with little value to the resource in preserving some of these old time traditions , because of greed.  It almost feels like we went backwards in some areas, especially along the Cape Cod Canal and some parts of the outer beaches. I have chosen not to give up, not just yet as my physicality places more years on my body then I can handle. I go down to some of my old haunts of years ago sit and watch , but it is not the same for what ever reason .

The inner fire is missing, the inner strength for the most part is gone, but as i watch others If the opportunity is right I make a cast or two , catch a fish or two and many of those who I have attempted to pass on some help are now offering to help me pull the fish up and carrying it back to my truck if it is a legal fish for a meal or two. I am often carried back to another time when this situation arises and out of no where a voice is heard by me can I help you . It is called one and done fishing from shore now, for my strength is such that it takes me several days to recover. Thank god that I still have a young friend that finds the time for me to go fishing on his boat and that is less physically to do for what ever reason and sort of gets the juices going again . Where can an old guy going on 86 still fish for 12 hours on a boat still under all sorts of weather and fishing experiences ?   I almost break down when that happens for I know my time is really getting short on this earth I need to prepare myself for this eventuality. Non the less I still plan on going down fighting to the end for that has been the only way I have known all my life. The resource will always be first and poachers will be brought to justice for the betterment of that goal .  We get to pray a little more that life around us as we know it gets an opportunity to reflect those good times forever and that the constant battles of words take on new meanings of love rather then hate . For in the end we are all bothers and sisters as the good book tells us we are, with the same heart and souls of recreational fishermen . Steve thank you for your words above it sort of lit the candle of hope .