codfish

That's a lot of people for 8/31 and no fish

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

one less person always helps ... 

I try! 

I live on the beach in the summer so it's not worth leaving to be crowded!

3 hours ago, sams said:

They were F'ing terrible on Sunday.  I ran long and got some good shots away from the crowds, but, coming home trough B Bay every pod had a pile of A holes flying around.  I worked slowly on to a small feed off wings with another boat, only to have some guy in a Grady, drive right between us and onto the fish.  SMFH.

sam

It seems as if all fishing is turning into Animal House, and not just the canal. Ever increasing numbers of my old timer friends, guys I've know for 40 years, have given up. 

2 mins ago, bob_G said:

It seems as if all fishing is turning into Animal House, and not just the canal. Ever increasing numbers of my old timer friends, guys I've know for 40 years, have given up. 

Agreed.

Some of that comes with being satiated after a long hardcore career. We're just not hungry enough to put up with less fish and more crowd.

20 years ago I had no trouble fighting for a spot in the worst crowds.

Mouth of a certain river, last 2 hours of drop, on the sand bar.

A certain big rock pile in RI where Albert rules.

It seemed worth it to me then.

Now, even those mad canal videos don't tempt me. My own kid went down and hit a blitz of bigs and still I'm not tempted. 

I'm down to less than a dozen trips per season, many of those for the kid, or just to hang out.

This year I've landed less than 20 bass, only one "keeper" (I quit eating em years ago), and don't mind. In fact I'm passing on invites.

I'm not done by any means. I'll never stop going to the ocean. But my desire to chase stripers has ebbed considerably. 

You can see a few people in that photo sitting around waiting for the easy fish. Have people always sat around or camped out at spots waiting for fish to show up or is that a recent thing?  It seems like a ton of people just sit there all day and night and don’t fish at all until they see fish breaking or someone else hook up. 

There have always been "watchers." It's just because of vastly more people fishing the Canal now vs. even 20 years ago that they are more noticeable. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

23 mins ago, z-man said:

You can see a few people in that photo sitting around waiting for the easy fish.

many of the bike crew bike up & down the canal looking for  breaking fish because they're too lazy to find fish on their own.

a month ago or so i was working a spot in the early a.m. when i heard a guy who was slowly biking by yell to a buddy "i don't pick a spot until i see breaking fish".

the fish quite frequently aren't breaking on top but are holding on bottom or on the edges of rips. the searching for breaking fish crowd will never catch those fish.

Edited by zak-striper

As soon as the canal is shut down or bass gets a moratorium they will all either give up and sell their gear or albies and seabass are next. At least the expense of a boat will keep most away.

49 mins ago, z-man said:

You can see a few people in that photo sitting around waiting for the easy fish. Have people always sat around or camped out at spots waiting for fish to show up or is that a recent thing?  It seems like a ton of people just sit there all day and night and don’t fish at all until they see fish breaking or someone else hook up. 

That's pretty typical in lots of venues. 

In RI it's common on jetties and where the ORVs go.

It's funny to watch a bunch of parked campers on an empty beach suddenly disgorge an army of surf casters because of a splash. 

During tournaments, there might be 20 guys in the parking lot and 3 on the jetty  - until one hooks up.

19 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

As soon as the canal is shut down or bass gets a moratorium they will all either give up and sell their gear or albies and seabass are next. At least the expense of a boat will keep most away.

Unless Putin declares war on the US the canal will never be shut off to fishing. When the ACOE sees thousands of people fishing, biking, walking and so on, they know they've done their job. In essence they have. Their mission is to promote areas under their control as family recreation areas for all to enjoy.  Their jobs and budgets are secure.

1 hour ago, z-man said:

I don't know, for the dozen or so years I fished there I was too busy fishing to see what everyone else was doing :) The act you are describing - the watching to see if anyone is hooked up before you even cast - I call it 'boardwalk fishing'...in Monmouth County, NJ where I live there are boardwalks running along the beaches. The laziest of lazy people (I won't even call them fishermen) would park their cars at the boardwalk and watch you with binoculars. If you dared hook a fish they would come running down to mug you, cell phone in their hand letting their entire soccer mom/cell phone chain know they found the fish. Boardwalk fishing :rolleyes:  One moron that writes for a local rag/website published a fishing report where he said he fished all day...and the fishing was so bad he never even got out of the car :freak:   Idiot thinks he fished all day watching other people fish all day :bucktooth:

TimS

I don’t see the enjoyment of just watching. I go fishing to fish. I enjoy casting even if I’m not catching. If i just want to sit around I can do that at home on the couch.  I guess I also have too much other stuff to do in life rather than sit around all day waiting for fish to appear. 

I can't remember ever going fishing and not fishing the entire time I was near the water...just seems weird :squid:

2 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Agreed.

Some of that comes with being satiated after a long hardcore career. We're just not hungry enough to put up with less fish and more crowd.

20 years ago I had no trouble fighting for a spot in the worst crowds.

Mouth of a certain river, last 2 hours of drop, on the sand bar.

A certain big rock pile in RI where Albert rules.

It seemed worth it to me then.

Now, even those mad canal videos don't tempt me. My own kid went down and hit a blitz of bigs and still I'm not tempted. 

I'm down to less than a dozen trips per season, many of those for the kid, or just to hang out.

This year I've landed less than 20 bass, only one "keeper" (I quit eating em years ago), and don't mind. In fact I'm passing on invites.

I'm not done by any means. I'll never stop going to the ocean. But my desire to chase stripers has ebbed considerably. 

You think you can catch less fish than me? Try 1 striped bass for the season, 21", off a beach.

Just now, yemista said:

You think you can catch less fish than me? 

That seems like a really weird contest :wave:

TimS