joe0306

Ceramic ring fell off guide

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I use an 8'0" penn fierce II rod with a 5000 fierce spin reel. Total set up cost me around $110.

Recently I noticed the ceramic ring fell off my guide and the local shop quoted me around $30 for the entire guide to be replaced plus the replacement of the rod tip.

Is this a good deal for a rod that cost $110. Just want to do my due dilligence on this. I have no experience replacing guides so that should be better left to a professional.

Thanks

Just now, joe0306 said:

Hey guys,

I use an 8'0" penn fierce II rod with a 5000 fierce spin reel. Total set up cost me around $110.

Recently I noticed the ceramic ring fell off my guide and the local shop quoted me around $30 for the entire guide to be replaced plus the replacement of the rod tip.

Is this a good deal for a rod that cost $110. Just want to do my due dilligence on this. I have no experience replacing guides so that should be better left to a professional.

Thanks

Which guide, the one on the tip?

If that’s the case just buy an Eagle Claw repair kit, heat up the broken guide over a candle or a hair dryer, remove, and put on a new tip (kit will come with glue).

Should run you a couple of bucks. 

I wouldn’t spend $30. That’s pretty much the cost of the rod when you bought the combo. 

3EC84D84-AA5F-436C-901C-4375B0D0F793.jpeg

3 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

Which guide, the one on the tip?

If that’s the case just buy an Eagle Claw repair kit, heat up the broken guide over a candle or a hair dryer, remove, and put on a new tip (kit will come with glue).

Should run you a couple of bucks. 

I wouldn’t spend $30. That’s pretty much the cost of the rod when you bought the combo. 

3EC84D84-AA5F-436C-901C-4375B0D0F793.jpeg

No the ceramic ring fell off the 2nd guide down.

Rod tip ceramic ring is hanging in there but I'd like it replaced as it got pretty beat up this season

1 min ago, joe0306 said:

No the ceramic ring fell off the 2nd guide down.

Rod tip ceramic ring is hanging in there but I'd like it replaced as it got pretty beat up this season

That’s a different animal, so my previous advice is not relevant. 

Another direction may be to shop around for a new rod.  You can get a new squadron or something similar for under $50. 

2 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

That’s a different animal, so my previous advice is not relevant. 

Another direction may be to shop around for a new rod.  You can get a new squadron or something similar for under $50. 

I will be getting a better rod/reel next season, looking to spend around $200-300. Would like to keep this one though because it is good and would be nice to have to just throw bait out as I use lures on the other rod.

Had a ceramic break on one of the middle guides on a CMS rod a few years ago. They replaced all of the guides .

3 mins ago, joe0306 said:

I will be getting a better rod/reel next season, looking to spend around $200-300. Would like to keep this one though because it is good and would be nice to have to just throw bait out as I use lures on the other rod.

I hear you, man. Couple of my bait rods :)

FA50C8EB-D948-456E-8C51-503DEFCA9158.jpeg

You can't just replace the ring, you need to replace the whole guide.

Tip tops are easy.  The other guides (like yours) are a bit more work.

If you wanted to get into rod building, once you have all the equipment it's not that hard to do at all.  Plus you get to build any kind of rod that you want....ice rods to surf rods.  After you add up all the expenses, it doesn't really save any money but it does allow you to custom build or repair anything you want to your specs.  Short butts, long butts, tapers, power, guides, guide layouts, hook keeper placement, foregrip (or not), rear grips, handle type & shape, etc., etc., etc.  Some guys are real artists & do all kinds of crazy thread work, too....I'm not that talented.  The good news is that the fish don't care how nice the rod looks....which is also good news for beginners.

To do the guide properly, you'd need to carefully slice the epoxy with a razor (but not the blank) and then try to peel the old epoxy off.  Remove guide & clean up blank as best you can w/o damaging blank.  Then you get the new guide (special order), rod building epoxy, rod building thread to match + rod building station, + a rod turner (otherwise epoxy will drip off or droop unless constantly rotated).  Should do 2 coats of epoxy w/24 hr drying time for each coat.

So, yes $30 is a fair price for a local tackle shop to charge.  (For reference, I paid $9 for a box of seaworms over July 4th...so there's inflation in seaworms + rod repair work.  It is what it is.)  Ask them to do 2 coats of epoxy if you decide to go that route.

Personally, I'd put the $30 towards a new rod at the tackle shop instead of towards a Penn Fierce.  Then you can get out there + fish & not miss any fishing days.

Hope that helps!

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 8/31/2019 at 5:21 PM, jigmaster5 said:

You can't just replace the ring, you need to replace the whole guide.

Tip tops are easy.  The other guides (like yours) are a bit more work.

If you wanted to get into rod building, once you have all the equipment it's not that hard to do at all.  Plus you get to build any kind of rod that you want....ice rods to surf rods.  After you add up all the expenses, it doesn't really save any money but it does allow you to custom build or repair anything you want to your specs.  Short butts, long butts, tapers, power, guides, guide layouts, hook keeper placement, foregrip (or not), rear grips, handle type & shape, etc., etc., etc.  Some guys are real artists & do all kinds of crazy thread work, too....I'm not that talented.  The good news is that the fish don't care how nice the rod looks....which is also good news for beginners.

To do the guide properly, you'd need to carefully slice the epoxy with a razor (but not the blank) and then try to peel the old epoxy off.  Remove guide & clean up blank as best you can w/o damaging blank.  Then you get the new guide (special order), rod building epoxy, rod building thread to match + rod building station, + a rod turner (otherwise epoxy will drip off or droop unless constantly rotated).  Should do 2 coats of epoxy w/24 hr drying time for each coat.

So, yes $30 is a fair price for a local tackle shop to charge.  (For reference, I paid $9 for a box of seaworms over July 4th...so there's inflation in seaworms + rod repair work.  It is what it is.)  Ask them to do 2 coats of epoxy if you decide to go that route.

Personally, I'd put the $30 towards a new rod at the tackle shop instead of towards a Penn Fierce.  Then you can get out there + fish & not miss any fishing days.

Hope that helps!

Thing is my season is already over now as I head out to college in western MA tomorrow so I'm fine with putting the rod away for a 1 month repair.

And why ask for 2 coats of epoxy? 

Edited by joe0306

First off, you can still fish it without the ceramic. Use a q-tip to be sure there are no sharp edges that will damage line. Or just remove the guide frame. Temporary but will suffice if you wanted to use, like on Columbus Day weekend.

Second, since you are already on to the next season (school) I would suggest you search and watch some videos of how to do the guide repair. It is a good investment in your fishing future. Can be done in a dorm room with a couple cardboard boxes. Surprisingly simple. Add to your skill set.

And $30 is fair price for both guides IMO.