Eagles Dare

Osprey migration?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Have they left the area already? Didn't see a single one in 4 days earlier this week. For some reason I thought it was usually more like mid-Sept when they usually buzz out.  

Agree.  I always noticed they moved on mid September as well.  However just in the last few days there's been a marked decline. I saw a couple the other day, but nothing like the week before. I wonder if it's due to the lack of pogies in the harbors?

Long Island sound still there.

Saw one on the top of the tree, must be young one.

Never see one standing on the tree.

The inland ones are still here. I watched one fish Sandy Pond in Ayer yesterday. 

There are so many now, some linger until ice.

Some of you may be watching birds keyed on pogies which may have moved. Just guessing. I mostly watch the freshwater ones - something that pretty much didn't exist around here in my lifetime until about 10 years ago.

saw 3 this am in kayak, 2 weeks ago 8-10.   I think I read that the females leave first and the males teach the young how to catch fish. 

They are still in Duxbury. Saw one fly out yesterday over the beach and fly back to the bay  with a large bunker in its claws. Usually gone by the end of September.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was on the sound side of Cape Cod today and saw at least 12-15, some still on the nests.  Being fed by adult birds.

Edited by FizzyFish