richie c

Windshield chip repair

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I went to the local autozone & bought one of those windshield chip repair kits for about 10 bucks and did it myself.  I think it was made by permatex.  Not perfect but looks better than it was & hasn't spider-webbed at all.

17 mins ago, richie c said:

I have a small chip in my windshield that needs to be taken care of  before it spiders. I'm in Jackson NJ, who do you guys use? Thanks RC

That stinks!  There’s so much road debris. I just call my insurance company. You may have a zero cost repair coverage. We then usually go to Safelite, and they also have come to us. 

I had a chip and 1-2” crack from a rock about 2 years ago, got some kit off amazon and tried it. Chip and crack are still visible but it did not get larger. Jeep got a crack about a month later. Used the same kit, same result. Still visible but the crack did not grow.   

Geico used to waive glass deductible if you had a chip repair rather than replacing the windshield.  I had several chips repaired over a year or so which I paid nothing for but then Geico cancelled my policy.  

But for the first one call your insurance and see what they will do. 

1 hour ago, JimW said:

Geico used to waive glass deductible if you had a chip repair rather than replacing the windshield.  I had several chips repaired over a year or so which I paid nothing for but then Geico cancelled my policy.  

But for the first one call your insurance and see what they will do. 

For having chips repaired?

I’ve used safelite for chip repairs and been happy. As long as it’s a chip it can generally be fixed. I just replaced my windshield yesterday due to a small spider crack. It wasn’t fixable. Within a week it spread to a full crack, top to bottom. 

The diy kits also work. 

2 hours ago, modelcitizen said:

For having chips repaired?

Also a window broken in a robbery at a state park.  Too many glass claims too soon.  I argued and got coverage back and then changed insurance.  It was an odd occurrence honestly, maybe just a cheesy vw windshield. 

19 hours ago, JimW said:

Also a window broken in a robbery at a state park.  Too many glass claims too soon.  I argued and got coverage back and then changed insurance.  It was an odd occurrence honestly, maybe just a cheesy vw windshield. 

Or... maybe they did not want to insure someone who engages in robbery.