turkaholic

Bill Wetzel warning

Rate this topic

172 posts in this topic

16 mins ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

It's always a risk while wadding in water, but GW's are more of an ambush from below predator.

Not saying they can't or don't feed in shallow water but it's more likely in deeper water. Still freaks me out though.

None, I'll repeat that none of the GWs in Cape Cod waters are feeding in deep water, at least not the ones feeding on seals. They are ambushing the seal in less than 10 feet of water.

Drone vids have given me a new perspective. They were there all along but visuals are persuasive- even some that would be speculative like Jaws.  After I watched it- I still swam in the ocean every day BUT-I never swam at night again.  I rarely wade deep at night also.

Skipping daylight because I don't fish the salt much in the day.

3 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Browns are not known to attack people (or seal). But shark in the water,  you in the water

Farewell and adieu my fine Spanish ladies

Yup

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

None, I'll repeat that none of the GWs in Cape Cod waters are feeding in deep water, at least not the ones feeding on seals. They are ambushing the seal in less than 10 feet of water.

Agreed. The more sharks there are in local waters, the more they are being studied up close. I read somewhere that the way Great Whites hunt is a learned behavior and that the hunting tactics these animals use varies from ocean to ocean. For instance, Indian Ocean GW’s commonly breach when attacking their prey. That’s where National Geographic gets so much of that exciting footage. You don’t see lots of breaching in New England waters and there’s now quite a bit of evidence which suggests that the current east coast GW population has changed up their hunting tactics in order to adapt to the seals staying more in shallow water . These are smart creatures and not the thoughtless eating machines they were once portrayed as. There’s reasons why they’ve survived as long as they have. Surfers, waders and swimmers BEWARE.

11 mins ago, levari said:

Any suggestion how to get my spouse to fish with me

Yeah. Tell her you'll go first.

45 mins ago, Jason B said:

A sun fish with its fin up swam by today and made me stutter step for a second. Had it been a Shark, I would have lost all bodily fluid, even my cytoplasm. 

A young shark asked his Dad why they circled with their fins out of the water before attacking.  Dad said it scares the **** out of their prey so it tastes better.