turkaholic

Bill Wetzel warning

Rate this topic

172 posts in this topic

I was scrolling through (another site) and there was a post from Bill Wetzel warning all Montauk surfcasters to use “EXTREME CAUTION “ swimming or WADING  on north or south side because of large shark sightings possibly GREAT WHITES due to the unbelievable amount of seals there. I haven’t been in the kayak much this season.

Edited by TimS

There was a report end of last year about 20 yards off the shore in turtle cove a very large 15-17 ft white shark tossed a seal up in the air and seal make loud screach.... I would not even go in wait height in the waters in Montauk and north

There was a Thresher is Zachs bay recently.  More seals more sharks.  I don’t go in the ocean water past my waist.  I like having legs!

On topic, how dangerous are brown sharks? Seems like theres a lot of them this year in the LI sound, and my best spot at low tide let's you wade out waist deep about 100 yards or so. Never really thought about it until recently.

Browns are not known to attack people (or seal). But shark in the water,  you in the water

Farewell and adieu my fine Spanish ladies..........

Edited by Captain Ahab

Just curious . . . how many surf fisherman have been attacked by sharks in the N.E.?  Or anywhere for that matter . . . wonder what the probability even with a GW or two in the area?

Also, wonder how many fisherman get injured or killed driving to or from fishing spots?

Guess if I heeded every warning I wouldn't do anything . . . though will not fish in a thunder/lightening storm.  Much higher probability of injury/death with that.

Remember years back hitting SH one night just to have the park ranger tell us about an unfortunate angler who was grabbed by the leg in the surf by a shark the night before...his waders helped but he was rushed to the hospital with a large gash in his leg......never made the paper....so ya just don't know.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

4 mins ago, cartopper said:

Just curious . . . how many surf fisherman have been attacked by sharks in the N.E.?  Or anywhere for that matter . . . wonder what the probability even with a GW or two in the area?

Also, wonder how many fisherman get injured or killed driving to or from fishing spots?

Guess if I heeded every warning I wouldn't do anything . . . though will not fish in a thunder/lightening storm.  Much higher probability of injury/death with that.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!! If the FDA warned that green apples can possible cause cancer, I'll stick with the red ones.... if there are great white in the waters and A LOT of them are not even tagged then I'll stick to jetties and back bays!

Fishing and wading in shark territory, more so white shark, has an additional thrill, keeps your senses open while venturing in the wash, we are both seeking for the catch.  

And if it so happens that a great white grabs the fish I am reeling inn, then i'l be more than happy to let him

take it and feel him on the other end of my line. Amazing predators. 

7 mins ago, Fishy4335 said:

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!! If the FDA warned that green apples can possible cause cancer, I'll stick with the red ones.... if there are great white in the waters and A LOT of them are not even tagged then I'll stick to jetties and back bays!

Yeah I hear ya . . . not sure your apple analogy works.  I've been surf fishing for well over 40 years and never heard of anyone being attacked by a shark (at least in NJ and NY).  Even the one instance Mr. Bigdeal mentioned . . . during those 40+ years more than half my time spent on SH.

Guess, at least for me, there are far greater risks than being attacked by a shark while surf fishing (wading of course).