joe0306

Question about snaps and losing fish

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Kones1 said:

Try it is all I can suggest. P I A yes. Practice. 3 times. U Tube. Great knot. Braid is like a razor. I’ve caught 70 lb tunas, 4 before I tied a new knot. 100 lb power pro 80 lb fluorocarbon 

Kool..ty for the info appreciate it.. I'll give it a shot

12 hours ago, willcodfish said:

Kool..ty for the info appreciate it.. I'll give it a shot

You are having problems with your knots and your duolock snaps? Duolock snaps are a recipe for failure when used as a snap for plugging. Some cheaper fast snaps are poorly designed. If you want to find a better substitute for the duolock snap, try TA clips and report any issues back in this thread.

Years ago, there were threads on Duo-Lock failure that led TimS to recommend bending the tag end of the snap a little more acutely.  I tried that and didn't really like it.

If I use a snap, I use a TA snap, but I'd rather tie direct most of the time, and favor a loop knot. I tie running line to a swivel, and the swivel to leader material.  Unless it's little tunny season, 60# mono is fine. 

I did buy a bobbin for the PR knot, but haven't tried it yet. 

On 9/3/2019 at 5:42 AM, Haycreekrambler said:

We used to bend duro locks so downward pressure alone wouldn't open them. A fish would occasionally pop 1 open.

I have found that bending them around compromises the clips. It makes them less reliable and more prone to failure.  I've caught numerous fish with them and the only time there's been a problem is when I didn't replace a stressed duolock snap. So I make sure to replace them often.

I love Tactical Anglers products but I simply can't figure out those paperclip snaps. Takes me forever to use them. So I've set them aside for now.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I gave up on those snaps years ago,they open too many times and they are not reliable.

switched to cilps and have been good since.

have had an ss darter jump the clip with a decent gator attached.

fish was thrashing and got the clip to turn around and let it slip off.

a lure with a semi thick tie point won't jump the clip because it is harder to slide past the kink. 

I tie the clip with a standard clinch knot or improved depending on what clip I use.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

5 hours ago, TroutGhost said:

love Tactical Anglers products but I simply can't figure out those paperclip snaps. Takes me forever to use them. So I've set them aside for now.

There super easy to use for me I change out plugs in the dark 

Ive seen people use tactical angler clips for years. Only issue i ever saw was one day my buddy had two plugs in a row removed by fish off the clip. Besides that tho never seen an issue and there was no issue with that particular clip, just bad luck. I use all types of snaps and clips, never had an issue with any of them, just change them out with your leader when they get worn, had 2 swivels actually break on me this year, first time thats happened. 

40 or so years ago my son rescued the president of Art Wire and Stamping from a sailing accident, and he gave us a life-time supply of Duo Lock snaps. I've been using them ever since and have experienced only 1 failure when a big bluefish opened the snap on a jump. I use the larger, stronger sizes on all types of artificials and smaller sizes on nighttime striper flies. As for knots attaching leader to braid I use loop to loop connections with double surgeons. Bulky, but cannot slip and is easy to tie. Zero failures.