joe0306

Question about snaps and losing fish

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, joe0306 said:

Hey guys, 

Just wondering if you guys use snaps to quickly cycle between tackle without having to retie knots. I recently started to use them and have today lost 2 fish (one on a circle hook and one on an sp minnow). I'm wondering if I'm losing these fish because of the snaps that I am using. Do you guys have any advice on using these things without losing fish?

I also lost an sp minnow today attached to a snap that just snapped off as I was casting it. Hate to see $13 thrown away like that. 

All help is appreciated.

What kind of snap are you using?   

I'd suggest not clipping direct to a hook....When you set the hook you're fighting the clip while the goal is to move the hook point.  

I only use clips when plugging.  Tactical angler clips are what I use most.  In freshwater I use Mustad fastach.  Never lost  a plug.  Probably went through 100 packs of clips in all without a failure.

18 hours ago, joe0306 said:

Hey guys, 

Just wondering if you guys use snaps to quickly cycle between tackle without having to retie knots. I recently started to use them and have today lost 2 fish (one on a circle hook and one on an sp minnow). I'm wondering if I'm losing these fish because of the snaps that I am using. Do you guys have any advice on using these things without losing fish?

I also lost an sp minnow today attached to a snap that just snapped off as I was casting it. Hate to see $13 thrown away like that. 

All help is appreciated.

Regular duolock/coastlock snaps or fast snap/clips? If duolock or coastlock snaps then it is not unexpected. Tactical Anglers clips would be another story.

2 mins ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

Regular duolock/coastlock snaps or fast snap/clips? If duolock or coastlock snaps then it is not unexpected. Tactical Anglers clips would be another story.

Yes duolocks

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 mins ago, joe0306 said:

Yes duolocks

Bad. Stop using them and switch to a fast snap like Tactical Anglers or Breakaway ...

Tactical Anglers Clips 50lb

Edited by GuiltyAsCharged

2 mins ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

Bad. Stop using them and switch to a fast snap like Tactical Anglers or Breakaway ...

Tactical Anglers Clips 50lb

A friend of mine uses the coastlocks on light tackle rods/lines and they come open on him constantly.   We showed him the TA clips and how easy they were to use but he was unswayed.  I think perhaps because his eyesight is so poor he literally couldn't see how to use them.

Joe and satan, I suggest learning 2 or 3 basic knots, finding out what works for you as to when to use a snap or not, and only using quality snaps. Be careful when tying direct, a clinch or palomar direct to a lure with no split ring will kill the action of the lure, use a loop knot. Paying attention to detail costs nothing and will improve your all around game.

51 mins ago, saxon59 said:

Joe and satan, I suggest learning 2 or 3 basic knots, finding out what works for you as to when to use a snap or not, and only using quality snaps. Be careful when tying direct, a clinch or palomar direct to a lure with no split ring will kill the action of the lure, use a loop knot. Paying attention to detail costs nothing and will improve your all around game.

What Saxon said.

Like most things associated with fishing, there's never one big secret that cracks the code. Rather, perfecting a bunch of little details along the way that lead to success.

Uni knots make a nice, compact knot using mono. Before tightening your knot, moisten the knot with saliva. Tighten slowly, and forcefully.  I use a tiny pair of fly tying scissors. I slide the stem of the scissors in the clip to draw the knot tight, then clip the ends flush. Any exposed end catches weeds. 

Only use a Palomar knot on braid. 

Assuming your guides have no cracks,and you changed hooks and rings on your sp and removed the nose ring with proper knots you should have no failure with quick clips and lures breaking off.

I dont know about snaps does anyone still use these? They are like 8tracks....or flip phones for those who dont know of 8 tracks. :stick:

I had an issue with the paper clip style clips where I lost the fish and my needlefish and upon inspection the clip looked as good as it did out of the package. Is simply slid off ... it has happened to others as well. Egg shaped Cross Lock snaps for me with double hook plugs for me ... clips for single hook plugs.

DuoLock snaps become undependable after repeated heavy use and stress. I've had them fail on me a couple times in the past and I think it's because it was stressed.  But I don't think that's the problem.

The improved clinch knot is problematic with braid. They just slip loose, come undone with braid a few times. That's when I switched to the Palomar knot for braid. 

I use the improved clinch knot for attaching mono leaders to a clip or a swivel. I use a snell knot for tying mono leaders to hooks. 

We used to bend duro locks so downward pressure alone wouldn't open them. A fish would occasionally pop 1 open. Been using ta clips for a long time now no issue. The only thing I still tie direct is eel hooks

On 8/30/2019 at 10:29 AM, pogie_boy said:

Breakaway clips.

The only time I've ever lost anything was when a guy crossed my line and yanked my PT jude tin up on the rocks and it came unuttoned seemingly magically and just sat on top of a rock.

I pre-tie all my leaders with a swivel on top and a clip on bottom.

Palomar knot on both ends.   Tighten with a pair of pliers and a glove.

Use same method leader and knot set up and been gravey simple knot and works great

1 hour ago, Kones1 said:

FG knot for fluorocarbon to braid

Like most I'm a Palomar tyer good easy knot..how much of a pain in the ass is it to ty a FG??think it's worth switch knots or just stick with what's been working..just curious..lmk..thnks

12 hours ago, willcodfish said:

Like most I'm a Palomar tyer good easy knot..how much of a pain in the ass is it to ty a FG??think it's worth switch knots or just stick with what's been working..just curious..lmk..thnks

Try it is all I can suggest. P I A yes. Practice. 3 times. U Tube. Great knot. Braid is like a razor. I’ve caught 70 lb tunas, 4 before I tied a new knot. 100 lb power pro 80 lb fluorocarbon