joe0306

Question about snaps and losing fish

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

Just wondering if you guys use snaps to quickly cycle between tackle without having to retie knots. I recently started to use them and have today lost 2 fish (one on a circle hook and one on an sp minnow). I'm wondering if I'm losing these fish because of the snaps that I am using. Do you guys have any advice on using these things without losing fish?

I also lost an sp minnow today attached to a snap that just snapped off as I was casting it. Hate to see $13 thrown away like that. 

All help is appreciated.

I believe the favorite at the canal is tactical anglers clips. not sure if that's the name, but it resembles a paperclip. personally, i retie everything. no snaps or clips

1 min ago, asian satan said:

I believe the favorite at the canal is tactical anglers clips. not sure if that's the name, but it resembles a paperclip. personally, i retie everything. no snaps or clips

what knot do you use to tie sp minnows? i find i will waste a lot of line wrapping it around a 7 inch minnow doing polamars

I use improved clinches for everything. Braid, mono, swivels, hooks, etc. there's definitely better knots, but I'm lazy and it's never failed me (or at least I think it never failed me)

15 mins ago, joe0306 said:

what knot do you use to tie sp minnows? i find i will waste a lot of line wrapping it around a 7 inch minnow doing polamars

Did the line come back as a clean cut? If so then your leader material might be compromised. If it came back jumbled where you tied off then the knot  slipped. In that case it just needs to be cinched tighter, saliva helps. 

I only tie palomars as they’re proven strong and they’re easy to tie.  I don’t find the need to use another knot for the type of fishing I do. Last year was the first time I snapped off right at the clip on consecutive casts. It was because I switched to a garbage flouro brand for albies.  Went back to my original leader material and no issues. 

I find it slightly harder to cinch down my knots on a TA clip than directly to a plug because there’s less to grab on to. Sometimes I’ll tie the knot, clip on a plug, and use the plug to pull everything tight.

Posted (edited) · Report post

With a heavy mono or fluoro leader I just use a 5 or 6 turn cinch knot direct to the lure (or split ring on the lure).  If things are going to fail (very rare for me) I want to just lose the lure.  While I like a loop knot too, I find that eventually they fail (not the knot, but at the apex of the loop).  This usually happens about 10 minutes after I begin thinking I should retie.

Edited by buz23

Had a catfish twist off a mag-darter a couple weeks ago from a 125# ta clip. Usually use the 75#, didn't have any with me. Havent lost anything on the 75's yet.

I never lost a plug using Breakaway clips because the clip failed. I know of 2 pencils that came unbuttoned, but the constant bouncing would make it more likely that the clip could find it's way off of the plug. If I were to use pencils, I'd tie direct.

1 hour ago, joem said:

I find it slightly harder to cinch down my knots on a TA clip than directly to a plug because there’s less to grab on to. Sometimes I’ll tie the knot, clip on a plug, and use the plug to pull everything tight.

that's what fishing pliers are for.

Breakaway clips.

The only time I've ever lost anything was when a guy crossed my line and yanked my PT jude tin up on the rocks and it came unuttoned seemingly magically and just sat on top of a rock.

I pre-tie all my leaders with a swivel on top and a clip on bottom.

Palomar knot on both ends.   Tighten with a pair of pliers and a glove.

I use a Palomar knot when tying braid to snap/swivel, and modified cinch with mono to snap/swivel.

If the snap is not strong enough bigger fish can/will find a way to roll and undo the clip. A few of the fish I've lost got off that way. You find the snap open and bent all the way to the point I need to replace it.

Doesn't happen often, but often enough to never be forgotten.

2 hours ago, ReelPeeler said:

Had a catfish twist off a mag-darter a couple weeks ago from a 125# ta clip. Usually use the 75#, didn't have any with me. Havent lost anything on the 75's yet.

Same happened to me a year ago with a mag darter. Lost the fish only end up with the clip. Newer mag dater too wtf

I've never had a single failure using a clip. I fish a 30" mono leader, attaching both the barrel and the clip using a uni.  Then attach the leader to the braid using a Palomar. Cutting all my tags flush.

However back in the day I experienced many snap swivel failures, even with expensive Pomanettes. Given the right set of circumstances even the best snap could open.