Slowpoke Kid

How to Get your spouse to fish with you?

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

8 mins ago, Slacker said:

Where you going?

I’ll be back in NJ deer hunting. I have a couple private properties to use. It’s a been a every other year idea. Puts meat in frig and gets me in a tree. 

Freshwater rod and single hook lures during a schoolie blitz on the beach, nice Fall day. If she doesn’t catch she’ll still most likely enjoy the beach and watching nature’s spectacle that is a blitz . 

Edited by rbart

19 mins ago, LSP552 said:

This.  My wife and I both love paddling but she doesn’t really fish.  Maybe there is some middle ground out in a boat, beach or kayak?

I’m lucky.  I’d actually rather be with my wife than anyone else.

Or, it’s really OK if you don’t like the same things all of the time.

My wife and I spend a lot of time together. Same here in way of time spent with her, all the time. We’ll be married 25 years next May and already have a 2 week trip planned for it. 

I got my wife into shooting so we’ll go every Saturday to the range, breakfast, grocery shop and then out for dinner that day and maybe music out. 

Life is very short and we've both had our scares, so we don’t take any time together for granted. 

20 mins ago, grumpy247 said:

After reading your post I had to comment. My wife and I did everything together we trout fish and she even tried to fly fish we surf fished there were always firearms in our home and a dog but only after my retirement she started to go to the range and shoot. She even tried trap shooting but liked to watch better. Now all these things just don't interest me anymore you see we were married 25 years and she's been gone for 2 months. So enjoy the time together.  

Grumpy, so sorry to hear this. Couldn’t fathom what its like to go through this as you have. This is what scares us both, one day one will be without the other. 

So very very sorry. 

My wife is retired, she is 12 years older than me. It has to be the only time in life I wish I was older. We always speak of how can I break away from work for good or at least part time. I’m 56 so I have few years in front of me before I can spend more time with her, so we spend as much time on weekends now. 

Ken and I will be married 50 years on September 1st. To celebrate the event we went on a Float Trip last week on the North Platte in Wyoming. Can't imagine not being able to enjoy fishing together! 

Edited by Ladyfish

2 hours ago, RockRonin said:

So you're rich then. I learned the hard way, horse women only want men for the one thing.

I married her for her money,lol. She is a Vet so I thought I was set. Found out horse vets ain't rich like the dog vet my buddy married. She does pull her weight though, better than a stick in the eye. Plus I get to do my thing as she has all the benefits, Smart too.

She thought I was loaded too so we both got screwed in that deal.;-)

My now wife came out one day maybe fifteen years ago. She was done when she found out that the "fish finder" didn't differentiate between stripers and dogfish....She might have been on the boat one other time since then. Now when I go on other boats, I am asked to provide one of her lunches instead of gas money... Great cook and can't wait to get me packed up and out on the water for most of any weekends! This year has killed that as I have been rehabbing from total knee replacement and haven't launched or even wet a line....

I used to use the bags and shoes argument but now, I will lose when I do. With so much tackle, I'll ask her to buy a more expensive stuff than what I'm eying at so she even feels a little guilt for buying it. Replacing the sticker always worked so far as well as showing her inexpensive tackle I bought.

For the wife to go fishing with you, accompany her shopping or anything she wants to do before going to your favorite fishing spot. Let her have something to do when she gets bored. 

7 hours ago, b4loran said:

I married her for her money,lol. She is a Vet so I thought I was set. Found out horse vets ain't rich like the dog vet my buddy married. She does pull her weight though, better than a stick in the eye. Plus I get to do my thing as she has all the benefits, Smart too.

She thought I was loaded too so we both got screwed in that deal.;-)

We still kid about fun side of the advantage of the other person. I still to this day kid, I married her for the furniture. I had zero furniture unless you consider gun case or fly tying table as usable furniture. 

13 hours ago, Slowpoke Kid said:

Based on another post, I am consulting experts on how to convince your significant other to go fishing with you (and let you buy more gear)

My wife never fish before.  She is convinced that a Walmart rod is just as good as a $200+ rod.

I tried to get her to go fishing with me a few times, but she keeps refusing and said she doesn't know how to fish.

I took my wife with me last year when the small blues were around. I had her reel one in. Then I had her cast and she caught one on her own. I also took her on a party boat fluking. Now she likes it so last Xmas I bought her own rod. She doesn’t say anything anymore because now she sees all the different stuff you need for different fish. I still get my fishing time in now without hearing the crap

I got my husband to go fishing with me by catching a hell of a lot more fish at daybreak than he was getting in the afternoon/evening. He's still not much of a morning person. The downside of him coming with me is that I lose a good half hour of prime fishing time because he doesn't like to leave the house before first light, and he requires coffee and food before he'll get in the car. That and he has been known to cast in front of me (and we're still together, can you imagine). He caught his first bonito before I did, by a year.

My wife loves to fish, got her into some big fish one night and all she said that she liked my rod and reel smooth and light and that night she said the magic word "she wants one just like mine" now I have two sets of rod.

16 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

bad idea....lol...find other methods to convince her of the necessity of expensive tackle.

A:  Get her a spa day

B:  Buy her a nice Purse

C:  Gift card to insert snazzy shoe store

D: Gift card to nail/ hair salon

And put your stuff away.....never let her get a good long look at the gear your using.   That way she won't know it's new.  These help immensely https://amzn.to/2ZwB9qb and https://amzn.to/2NEOIl7

Most notably though.

A bootleg coach bag or Louis Vuitton purse goes a long way in promoting healthy growth of your fishing arsenal.

If mine knew what I spent on the saltiga vs what I get her as gifts she would have a melt down. I kind of tell her what some lures cost but rarely.

i take her with me fishing sometimes as a spectator aka hanging out on the beach with the dog. But usually I try to fly solo. More mobility and everything on my own time. There are certain windows of a tide I’ll want to fish and if she’s tagging along I can bet I won’t hit it because she is late to everything.

solo fishing is the life for me!