YakkinLI

Nexus rod dilemma

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

So I recently made a purchase admittedly without doing all the research I should have. I bought a Jigging World Nexus and Quantum Accurist S3 PT lefty. From what I now realize the rotation of the guides should be to the opposite side of the reel handle. I'm having difficulty finding this rod wrapped in the opposite direction. My dilemma is if having both the guide and handle to the same side is defeating the purpose of having a spiral wrapped rod and if I should make a different rod choice.

I didn't even pay attention to that when I bought the same rig about a month ago at Jigging World, lol. The guy who helped me out didn't say anything about that either when he helped me put it together in the store. Fished it literally all day in a fluke tourney out of Point Pleasant and it was fine. Caught fluke, sea bass, robins...the rod/reel fished like a dream just the way I had it. And yes, the rotation of my guides is towards the same side as the reel handle (lefty model).

That's good to hear. I really like the way the setup feels and I like the distance from the butt of the rod to the reel seat. I'm just concerned about not getting the most out of what the rod was designed for

28 mins ago, Romer Treece said:

I didn't even pay attention to that when I bought the same rig about a month ago at Jigging World, lol. The guy who helped me out didn't say anything about that either when he helped me put it together in the store. Fished it literally all day in a fluke tourney out of Point Pleasant and it was fine. Caught fluke, sea bass, robins...the rod/reel fished like a dream just the way I had it. And yes, the rotation of my guides is towards the same side as the reel handle (lefty model).

I wouldn't worry about it.. i dont think your going to find a factory rod that wraps to the right...

I fish lefty conventional and BC reels.. all my custom rods go right and all my factory rods go left.. I've never noticed much of a difference..

6 hours ago, YakkinLI said:

That's good to hear. I really like the way the setup feels and I like the distance from the butt of the rod to the reel seat. I'm just concerned about not getting the most out of what the rod was designed for

Don't sweat it, that setup will work great just like you have it. Fish it with confidence...it will do it's job and then some. Just make sure you put it on some fish!

Actually just got the 2-6 Heavy model to pair with a tern 300 found one for $130.00 free shipping I think I saved like $4.00 Plan on using it just for inshore blackfish I’ve heard good things about this rod and you can’t beat the price. Was considering on getting the tsunami for $100.00 but no 7’ model available.

It's fine.  I built 2 spiral wrapped rods last year for left handed retrieve reels.  In both cases the guides rotate on the same side of the reel.  If you lay the rod on the deck the reel handle will protect the transition guides,