Tailslap

Hurricane season

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Latest update for New England. Same idea as before. Storm remains well south of Nantucket. Gustiest breeze to the south and east, little to nothing north and west

Screenshot_20190905-130923_Twitter.jpg.8ce79ab716be60fdec2960abfadac2eb.jpg

savetweetvid_EDtkMifX4AA_nPq.gif.c3ad63f18073b1bef9ef834cf2b41dc5.gif

Also: note the wind max on the above GIF model is likely well overdone and unlikely to verify. 

Edited by rst3

Final Dorian update before storm races northeast, into the Maritimes.

Not impressed by Dorian this evening. Storm structure starting to fall apart.

savetweetvid_EDvykoKWkAAsvUI.gif.556e893f8067958ddde810e10ed5260e.gif

Eyewall is half open, and empirical data from buoy measurements (in and around the eye) have struggled to match the official NHC "100mph" label.

My personal view is that the storm, which will be 1-200miles SE of Nantucket, will not be a big deal at all for southern and southeastern NE.

Granted, mariners will want to be off of George's Bank and all that good stuff, but I think winds on shore from RI through the Cape will be unimpressive at best, to gusty at worst. 

Of course this is good news for almost everyone in NE, except perhaps surfcasters, who anticipated a good blow waking up the bass.

My fx: 

RI South County: gusts to 30

Cape CC: gusts to 35

Nantucket: gusts to 45

Official wind fx:

Screenshot_20190906-001924_Twitter.jpg.d1c84a9e67293434546a0a24a96d4acb.jpg

Imp note: although winds onshore may not be all that impressive, surfcasters fishing exposed rocky outcrops should take appropriate care on the backside of midnight, Fri/Sat. Some of the long period swells transmitting energy from the storm may prove a good bit nastier than the winds. Please be careful out there, but catch em up.

Edited by rst3

5 hours ago, rst3 said:

Final Dorian update before storm races northeast, into the Maritimes.

Not impressed by Dorian this evening. Storm structure starting to fall apart.

savetweetvid_EDvykoKWkAAsvUI.gif.556e893f8067958ddde810e10ed5260e.gif

Eyewall is half open, and empirical data from buoy measurements (in and around the eye) have struggled to match the official NHC "100mph" label.

My personal view is that the storm, which will be 1-200miles SE of Nantucket, will not be a big deal at all for southern and southeastern NE.

Granted, mariners will want to be off of George's Bank and all that good stuff, but I think winds on shore from RI through the Cape will be unimpressive at best, to gusty at worst. 

Of course this is good news for almost everyone in NE, except perhaps surfcasters, who anticipated a good blow waking up the bass.

My fx: 

RI South County: gusts to 30

Cape CC: gusts to 35

Nantucket: gusts to 45

Official wind fx:

Screenshot_20190906-001924_Twitter.jpg.d1c84a9e67293434546a0a24a96d4acb.jpg

Imp note: although winds onshore may not be all that impressive, surfcasters fishing exposed rocky outcrops should take appropriate care on the backside of midnight, Fri/Sat. Some of the long period swells transmitting energy from the storm may prove a good bit nastier than the winds. Please be careful out there, but catch em up.

Thank you for putting this together....

Friday night battling remnants of Hurricane Dorian at the beach, 30-40 mph winds, steady rain, roaring sea, outside furniture rattling the decks, windows shaking but holding fast, beer was cold, red wine was plenty, good food, best company - just the wife and I loving life!

IMG_2955.JPG

IMG_2947.JPG

Edited by John O'

6 hours ago, John O' said:

Friday night battling remnants of Hurricane Dorian at the beach, 30-40 mph winds, steady rain, roaring sea, outside furniture rattling the decks, windows shaking but holding fast, beer was cold, red wine was plenty, good food, best company - just the wife and I loving life!

IMG_2955.JPG

IMG_2947.JPG

:th:

As far as bass fishing goes, this storm seems to have really effed things up.  fishing has been unproductive to say the least.  Then again I suck at it so might be just me

Perfect conditions at a favorite spot recently and not a touch.  

Edited by FoliFish

I was out there on Sat morning, as the wind was still howling (morning started off with rain, but then peaks of sun started showing through an otherwise still mostly cloudy, but dry late morning)...wasn't the greatest outing, but got a few small 2 lb bluefish and schoolie sized bass, as a fair sized Spanish mackerel...the net total was under ten fish, but the water conditions remained clear and I think I only snagged seaweed one time in all that

17 mins ago, albacized said:

I was out there on Sat morning, as the wind was still howling (morning started off with rain, but then peaks of sun started showing through an otherwise still mostly cloudy, but dry late morning)...wasn't the greatest outing, but got a few small 2 lb bluefish and schoolie sized bass, as a fair sized Spanish mackerel...the net total was under ten fish, but the water conditions remained clear and I think I only snagged seaweed one time in all that

Similar here Friday (for bass anyway)  before it got too nasty.

That's the frustrating part.  Water has been relatively/surprisingly clean and weed free in a few spots I've been.  Nice white water and structure, just no fish.  Sunday night surf was still way up here on the South Shore so spots were limited (safety reasons).