TomJF

Indian Charlie

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hello all, I use to live in NJ and was a regular, fishing Sandy Hook south to Asbury. Now I live in Tenn. I really miss the Jersey Shore! Well, I was wondering if anyone fishing the Hook knows or knew Indian Charlie? I use to give him the fish I caught. He is always grateful for anything someone gives him. I hope to make a trip back to NJ one day and fish my a- - off. Good luck to all of you very fortunate fishermen.

Haven't seen Charlie is a few years now.  Used to be a "F" beach regular on weekends.  He had a home built motorized beach cart and brought his pet rabbit with him.  He may have passed.  

I remember Charlie.  Feels like 10 years at least and always at F. I haven't fished that beach much since then. Didn't he fish with those Alvey reels?

On 8/28/2019 at 0:18 PM, SIC34 said:

I remember Charlie.  Feels like 10 years at least and always at F. I haven't fished that beach much since then. Didn't he fish with those Alvey reels?

That was another guy that fished the Alvey reels.  Charlie had a cobbled together rod that was 20' long.  He was a real character.  Good guy that liked everybody.

18 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

That was another guy that fished the Alvey reels.  Charlie had a cobbled together rod that was 20' long.  He was a real character.  Good guy that liked everybody.

:th: Charlie wore the cowboy hat right? Its definitely been awhile. 

Vinny with the handlebar mustache was another good guy that I haven't seen and his buddy Joe. Doug and Steve. Rocco was a regular back then too. Great memories. Hope everybody is well.

Super storm Sandy kind of broke up the regulars that fished that beach.  I've only seen 3 or 4 of them since then.  Leaking Waders and Vlad the Impaler are amongst them.

The storm made a real mess of the surf there with the rubble and re-bar from the first ammo bunker and machine gun nest.  They are still spread out in the water making it unfishable.  The rest of the beach has changed drastically too.  

Charlie did have Alvey reels, he introduced them to me and allowed me to try them out. His rods were like 12' to 14' long. He had motorized beach carts.

He retired from the Navy, and was an Admirals chef when he served. Great guy!

1972 to 1999 I fished the hook south to Holgate. Then from 1999 to 2003 then again 2008 to 2015 I fished from North Beach south to Asbury Park. Always started out fishing the hook and usually fished Monmouth beaches. I caught so many fish 1999 to 2003, it was the best ever. Blitzes everywhere, bass, blues, albies, spanish macks, wow! it was fantastic.

I remember fishing with Vinny, Doug, Sal & son, John & daughter, Mike, Indian Charlie and many others. Oh how I miss those days and the friendships established. We had our own little fishing community. First names, and sometime just recognizing one another was all that was needed. Great memories!

Beach replenishment and Hurricane Sandy change everything. Just not the same. I haven't fishes since Hurricane Sandy.