Seadogg

PAM for rod guides

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

I’m able to cast pretty far but I wanted to cast farther. I started lubricating the guides with cooking spray. Canola seems to work really well, but coconut is just as good, maybe better. I just douche the guides before each outing and that’s that. I keep the can in my utility belt for when I need to reapply. 

I’ve used astroglide before. It doesn’t last long though. You have to reapply after the heat of the rod makes it evaporate or whatever happens to it. I’d keep two tubes in the belt :th:

26 mins ago, Seadogg said:

I’m able to cast pretty far but I wanted to cast farther. I started lubricating the guides with cooking spray. Canola seems to work really well, but coconut is just as good, maybe better. I just douche the guides before each outing and that’s that. I keep the can in my utility belt for when I need to reapply. 

Well done, i use lemon pledge. :howdy:

15 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

I’ve used astroglide before. It doesn’t last long though. You have to reapply after the heat of the rod makes it evaporate or whatever happens to it. I’d keep two tubes in the belt :th:

Knowing you, the astroglide might be for someone else's rod.

Will you two get a rest stop already, some of us are trying to have a serious discussion here.

Trying to reach breaking fish, not trying to break sodomy laws. 

3 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

Will you two get a rest stop already, some of us are trying to have a serious discussion here.

Trying to reach breaking fish, not trying to break sodomy laws. 

My apologies, carry on with your conversation about lubing up your guide, or your rod, or whatever else you want to lube. Just remember, for the best distance make sure to clean your line first.

11 mins ago, chitala383 said:

My apologies, carry on with your conversation about lubing up your guide, or your rod, or whatever else you want to lube. Just remember, for the best distance make sure to clean your line first.

But remember to not use a solvent that will break the lube up. That must be considered. If you wash you're line with Palmolive and use Pam to lube the guides... ha ha ha... that would be a serious waste of time! 

Edited by chessie_yaker

Astroglide, olive oil, palm oil, ets

They all may work good but you may also need to use Trojan, too.

Just for the safety of the rod or a guide.

Edited by Popasilov

1 hour ago, chessie_yaker said:

I hear this works better in the cold

https://amzn.to/2KZZXTv

On 8/27/2019 at 9:15 PM, Seadogg said:

I've switched to silicon spray. I also spray the silicon on my braid. Hit the spool again after a long cast to get it soaking deep into the spool too.

3 mins ago, Mike said:

I've switched to silicon spray. I also spray the silicon on my braid. Hit the spool again after a long cast to get it soaking deep into the spool too.

Does the additional weight of the silicon on your line weigh down your spool? I just don't want to be dealing with an unbalanced setup on the retrieve.