codfish

I know the Cape Cod Canal is changing but this??

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I've eaten a lot of flying fish in the Caribbean over the years.  They're always on the menu at local watering holes and beach bars. Really nice eating fish.

22 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I remember reading about flying fish in the canal decades ago. Maybe in one of frank daignaults books?

I hear he used to shoot them as they'd come flying out of the water. pew pew pew

On 8/28/2019 at 4:55 AM, sams said:

In warm water they are typically in pretty close.  In Ft Lauderdale where the gulf stream can push in pretty tight we will get them pretty close to the beach.  There were Mahi in cape cod bay last year, no reason we wouldn't have flying fish in the canal.  The water is getting warmer, there are black sea bass in Hampton, a king fish bite in B bay last year, pile of bonito 2+ weeks early this year, things are changing.  Its probably time to take a few trips to Hatteras to learn about drum fishing to get ahead of the curve.  This way I won't need to travel to Nova Scotia for fish I know how to catch.

I bet the canal would be a great spot for giant snook.

sam

I like the way you think, sams. Ahead of the curve!

19 hours ago, bob_G said:

I've eaten a lot of flying fish in the Caribbean over the years.  They're always on the menu at local watering holes and beach bars. Really nice eating fish.

Flying fish on the fly rod. It was meant to be.

9 hours ago, bdowning said:

better chance of catching a sailfish there now than anything local. :p

Mini snapper blues have invaded. 

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed would be happy.

never thought I'd have to use my alum walking stick other then balancing myself on the rocks ,but the other  night it came in handy to beet off one of the rock crawling great white's ..maybe I looked like a seal ?

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 8/28/2019 at 9:59 AM, fishcrat said:

When I worked in the field many years ago, we used to bring alive the "exotics"  we collected from south Cape estuaries to the curator of the NOAA Fisheries (then National Marine Fisheries Service) Aquarium in Woods Hole and he was always enthused with species from "away".   Some of those exotics are becoming commonplace here now. With warming waters in the Northeast and elsewhere, "The times they are a-changing"(Bob Dylan).  One of the DMF senior scientists, and doubtless others, has been publicly stating that the waters of  the Gulf of Maine are increasing more rapidly than anywhere else.  

8,000 years ago, there was this place known as St.Georges Is.Its now known as Georges Bank,things are always changing. 

Edited by Matt A. Poisett
spelling

14 hours ago, capecod said:

I heard someone landed a 49 inch snook in the canal the other night on a buck tail 

Are you sure it was a snook, and not a schnook?

On 8/29/2019 at 4:10 PM, Uncle Stu said:

Flying fish on the fly rod. It was meant to be.

I've had blues jump out of the water to hit a plug before it hit the water. I wonder if this is common with flying fish?  :)

While in college I used to launch out of Woods Hole and fish Nashawena and Cuttyhunk.  This was towards the end of the summer when the water was it's warmest. Many times on the long run back to the ramp, I'd see  flying fish  gliding a few feet off the water, wave to wave off the bow of my boat on the way back.