foxfai

How do you attach an anchor line to the boat?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I feel really stupid and can't find any information on what how to do this.....

I have the anchor tied to a chain then to a rope for anchoring a 10ft inflatable. We have about 200+ feet of line where we will be fishing around 30-50 feet deep of water. So with all these line we had it wrap up. But looking at some of the information, the line should just be hand back into a bucket properly and won't get tangle.

Now the question is, since the line is free, once we drop the anchor and let out enough line (1:3, 1:5) how do you hook the line on to the boat with the extra line inside the bucket? 

Edited by foxfai

Well, I don't have an inflatable but I'd suspect they have some form of cleat, whether firm or floppy, that you could pass a doubled anchor line thru, then tie a few half hitches around the line and see if it holds. May need to tie on the stern if your inflatable has a transom board for the motor. 

1 hour ago, Good2Go said:

Well, I don't have an inflatable but I'd suspect they have some form of cleat, whether firm or floppy, that you could pass a doubled anchor line thru, then tie a few half hitches around the line and see if it holds. May need to tie on the stern if your inflatable has a transom board for the motor. 

There is a rubber with holes on the side of the boat. I had clip the whole anchor line into the hole. But when I have to unhook it, it's very cumbersome. I don't think that's how I should do it either.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Hook I said:

Have you ever taken a boaters safety course ? might find a lot of basic answers there 

Not intensive, but some basics. Most of them suggest to tie to a cleat at the bow, which I don't have like a boat does. 

Edited by foxfai

8 mins ago, foxfai said:

Not intensive, but some basics. Most of them suggest to tie to a cleat at the bow, which I don't have like a boat does. 

If there is nothing to tie the line to at the bow of the boat, the odds are the boat was not designed for anchoring, so get a different boat.

7 mins ago, MakoMike said:

If there is nothing to tie the line to at the bow of the boat, the odds are the boat was not designed for anchoring, so get a different boat.

Yes that ^^^

17 mins ago, foxfai said:

Usually there is a line attached around the boat you can attach a rig to slide for movement .

The very end or bitter end of my anchor rode is secured to a bracket on my anchor locker. Usually when I anchor I let out a lot less line which I secure to a bow cleat. Never to a transom cleat. A few years ago a boat got swamped off Florida because they anchored from the transom. 

3 hours ago, Hook I said:

Yes that ^^^

Usually there is a line attached around the boat you can attach a rig to slide for movement .

There is a grab line on the side, but how do you secure the anchor line ' mid section on to this part? Do you tie a knot and attach a clip to it?

5 hours ago, MakoMike said:

especially in current.

2 hours ago, foxfai said:

There is a grab line on the side, but how do you secure the anchor line ' mid section on to this part? Do you tie a knot and attach a clip to it?

Shackle 

whatever you do DON"T ANCHOR BY THE STERN !!! Post a picture of the bow area of the boat then maybe i can help you. You need to learn some basic knots and hitches, look on animated knots dot com for all kinds of boating knots.

take a large carabiner clip, place the loop of rope thru the clip and loopback on itself and then clip to oarlock or handle on front (depending on type of inflateable ) rope will cinch much like climbing and can be loosened easily to extend or retract.

You don't need 5:1 scope to anchor a 10' boat in 50' of water.  2.5:1 should be more than enough.  For attachment here is probably a D ring at the front of your boat.  Double the line and tie a bowline through it.

Also a second for DON"T ANCHOR STERN FIRST.  This is how boats sink.  The point end is made to ride over waver, the square end is not.

sam