Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cephalopholis

Abu reel upgrades-are they worth it?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I got a nice Abu BG 7000cl for Christmess.

While looking at thousands of fishing sites over the holidays, I noticed a lot of bluster and bally hoo over some upgrade/improvements for the Abu reels.....

ie: rocket fuel,red & yellow.Xtreme Smoooothies for Abu 7000-7500 Class Abu's, Smooothie Combo Drag Washer Kit for Abu 7000-7500, Etc.,Etc.

How many here have used these items-did you find it actually make improvments to your reel or casting ability.

If these items do make for a better reel, which do you recommend and why?

Thanks!

kissme.jpg

You got a nice reel for Christmas, use it in good health!

Rocket fuel (IMHO) is only needed by tournament casters. It may actually hurt your casting by making a fairly tame reel too fast. You don't/won't need it until you understand exactly what it is and isn't used for.

"Smoothies" or "Extreme Smoothies" are another matter. The drag system is probably the weakest spot on the Abu reels. Switching to "Smoothies" will make a noticable difference in the smoothness of the drag. I'm sure others more qualified than myself will make specific recommendations. In my opinion, upgrading the drag system on ANY Abu is worthwhile.

AMMO

ohhhhh yea, let's not forget the ceramic bearings......

with the red rocket fuel?

are the benefits worth the price and hassle?

I'm talking for fishing - not T casting!

The only "cost effective" upgrade for an Abu reel used for fishing is the drag. Extreme smoothies or Penn HT-100s. Bushings to bearings....upgrade of stock bearings to Abec's or ceramics are not really worth the cost unless the original ones need replacement and then go with Abec 5s.

Extreme smoothies for sure..

Actually, i think the thin rocket fuel in the levelwind worm gear makes a big difference on these larger reels...

agreed on the bearings..

fyi, 150 yards (over grass) is very possible with a 7000 with levelwind in tact with a 5 or 6 oz sinker and a good fishing rod...

ohhhhh yea, let's not forget the ceramic bearings......

with the red rocket fuel?

are the benefits worth the price and hassle?

I'm talking for fishing - not T casting!

No. If Ron Arra could win 4 casting championships using 20 wt 3-in-1 oil in his bearings, it's good enough for me. Plus, one application lasts several trips.

Red RF requires a shot every other trip, and when using yellow, I've had to re-oil halfway thru a tide.

Drag washers are worth it. I tried all the rocket fuels and went back to 3 in 1 sewing machine oil. The whole bearing thing is overrated for fishing in general. Always replace bushings with bearings. If there is somewhere where you need a little more distance , all this stuff might get you there but in general you are paying a lot for only a small inprovement for the normal fisherman. Good maintenance will get you more distance than bad maintenance of the reel even with the best parts.

So it seems like my reels will be going into the shop for smooothie upgrades to the drag and general maint.only?!

Ditch, i'll have to agree with you..if it's good enough for Ron, it's good enough for me! icon14.gif Soooo-

No ceramics and no fuel....Thanks guys for saving me some bucks!

smile.gif

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

AS both a die hard tournament caster and fisherman .

Drags definitely need improvement

Bearing upgrades not required or needed

Oil , rocket ok and red or XS is required for this size reel , but most of my reels including tournament are loaded with heavy gear oil 70w all the way up to 150w , Walmart under $2 a quart , other oil I use is Mobil 1 20w-50 which is very expensive $5 /quart .

A water hose spray and a hit with wd40 when dry and the reel should last a lifetime

It al depends on how diseased your are...

Sure you could save the money.. then spend hours reading reports on upgrades performance and wonder "should I have done that?"..

Heres my advice ....

buy every stinken upgrade they made.... have one turbo charged ABU that has it all... polish it daily and fear that fish slime will ever get on it... out cast everone on the beach and explain to them that its your stoke and not the reel...

then when it come time to acutally catch something get another reel with no upgrades to fart around with recklessly...

Then in time you will upgrade that one too because it sucks and get your 3rd ABU with the new colored handle..

Welcome to the Reel Ho's "entry level phase one" .. it all starts here...

oh yeah better better put up a nice new shelf in the tackle room for the new reels you will acumulate over the years...

AJ sometimes the "disease" with ABU reels can be best described as a mental illness. I have two ABU 7800 reels...only 1000 were made. Both purchased from our Aussie buddy. One stock NIB.

The "other".....upgrades to Abec bearings, Smoothie drag washers....and a CT frame. smile.gif

Sounds SWEET.

24K GOLD PLATED. cwm12.gif

The CT frame I can rationalize. biggrin.gif

But why did I have the drag and bearing upgrade for a reel that will never have line on it.

It is a sickness.

Cephalopholis,

The 7000 drags are fine out of the box IMHO. I use 3&1 (red) oil on the worm gear, pawl opening and bearings. When you install the bearings make sure you keep them clean and oiled. Fish the reel before making any upgrades.

I am sure you will be happy.

Good Luck,

Steve smile.gif

When I got my Abu 5601 C4 a few years ago, I immediately replaced the drag washers w/ extreme smoothies. In the beginning, they were great but once they got a bit wet the drag would all of a sudden get very sticky. Mind you, this was a boat reel used primarily for bottom fishing & tossing small bucktails. I ended up having to tear the reel down a few times each season to dry off the drag stack. This went on for 2 seasons & then this past year I tried coating the washers w/ a very light film of drag grease. This seemed to do the trick, although you will not be able to achieve 100% lockup w/ this method.

I've also heard of good results using the HT100's, so I may give that a shot also. Anyone have first-hand experience w/ the HT100's in the Abu's? I'm thinkin' of using them on my 7000C3.