drmevo

Any larger fish not caught on pogies lately?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone  has had luck with keeper size+ fish other than the pogie schools in the NH/southern ME area.  I’ve been hitting the Piscat at night once or twice a week in my kayak in different spots and I haven’t broken mid-20’s in awhile. 

Nope, been hitting the mouth of a river with eels as much as I can trying to find a nicer fish with no luck. been catching 18-inch fish on foot-long eels along with the occasional 26 making an appearance. I have to leave the area for a while in a week so not gonna stop trying until something gives or I'm forced to accept a mediocre end to my season. 

Nope. Hit the flats past week fairly often despite. Good numbers of fish but nothing over 24". Bigger fish still on Pogies however. One more Pogie trip then I'm tapping and going back to the non stinky fly pursuit on the flats. My kayak smells like the working waterfront.

8 mins ago, EarningStripes207 said:

Nope, been hitting the mouth of a river with eels as much as I can trying to find a nicer fish with no luck. been catching 18-inch fish on foot-long eels along with the occasional 26 making an appearance. I have to leave the area for a while in a week so not gonna stop trying until something gives or I'm forced to accept a mediocre end to my season. 

Just now, Chiefy said:

Nope. Hit the flats past week fairly often despite. Good numbers of fish but nothing over 24". Bigger fish still on Pogies however. One more Pogie trip then I'm tapping and going back to the non stinky fly pursuit on the flats. My kayak smells like the working waterfront.

Both of your experiences mirror mine exactly. Even eels aren't producing anything special. I haven't gotten out front due to being busy on the weekends but maybe I'll have to make a point to try to find a pogie school one morning this weekend. I'm not crazy about snagging pogies, especially when you sit over the big schools for hours with nothing to show for it, but at the same time I'm tired of the endless 20" schoolies.

My experience too for the most part.  I did get one nice fish on Sunday night casting a plug at 1 am into the rough surf, doing what I think of as traditional nighttime surf fishing, fat 38” on a large size sp.  Other than that though, it seems to me that the traditional game of going out late at night and casting plugs is mostly an exercise in futility this year.  There really aren’t that many big fish around to begin with, and those that are here are hanging tight to the pogie schools.  

Makes for some very frustrating fishing.  Great if you can get on an active pogie school, but otherwise mostly sucks.  Feels like 20 years of accumulated knowledge of where to go at what tide, season, wind, etc. isn’t worth much of anything anymore.  The game these days seems to be just covering as much water as you can in daylight to spot active schools, and then live line a pogie to catch a big fish. 

1 hour ago, Chiefy said:

Chiefy

How bad is the free floating sea weed and grass been in your neck of the woods over the past couple of weeks? It has been driving me crazy on the waters I typically fish. 

And no this isn't a ploy to come fish your waters. Just want to se if you have been as miserable as I am with all that crap floating around.

20 mins ago, Plugger207 said:

Seaweed was pretty bad last night out front.  Scarborough area.....managed a few fish one nice one in mid 30s.....

The seaweed and eelgrass was awful around Portsmouth last night. Usually my Hobie handles the odd weed clump here and there no problem. Last night I had stretches where I was pulling the pedal drive out to clear it every 5 minutes.

I think this thread confirms my suspicion, I need to get out front for a good shot at a bigger fish. 

A tourist  I met caught a 43" and 45" on two separate days with worms a few weeks ago.   I personally saw both fish or would never have believed it.     One of my neighbors got some over 40 on mackerel offshore.  

Last Thursday and Saturday were the best days of the year for me. Helped a friend get his commercial limit in 1 hr and 50 minutes on Thursday.  

Saturday was even better number wise we released over 40 fish from 32" - 43".  At around 3pm bluefin showed up to feed off Plum Island. Had one takedown on a pogie but it ripped the pogie right of the hook. . 

54 mins ago, blacklabnh said:

Last Thursday and Saturday were the best days of the year for me. Helped a friend get his commercial limit in 1 hr and 50 minutes on Thursday.  

Saturday was even better number wise we released over 40 fish from 32" - 43".  At around 3pm bluefin showed up to feed off Plum Island. Had one takedown on a pogie but it ripped the pogie right of the hook. . 

What did you catch them on, if you don’t mind me asking?

1 hour ago, blacklabnh said:

Commercial as in NH saltwater fishing guides or commercial as in netting striped bass from Mass registered boats?? If it is the later what is the commercial limit per boat on striped bass in that state??

Just curiosity on my part.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mass - rod and reel - no netting 

limit is 15 fish 34" or greater mon and thursday till quota is filled. 

Edited by blacklabnh
add MA comm limit

15 mins ago, blacklabnh said:

Mass - rod and reel - no netting 

limit is 15 fish 34" or greater mon and thursday till quota is filled. 

Thanks