jjdbike

Albies, Bones, Macs: What fly w/casting egg?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Interesting,

1. I wonder how many people have had eggs bitten off by bluefish, or even heard of it happening?

2. Why would using a nial drive you nuts? 

3. I'm guessing it's similar to a roll cast (though pretty different) while fly fishing? I'm guessing the friction from pulling the egg from that water would impact one's casting distance?

JD

If you use a nail, you have to hang the bait on the nail.  Not necessary when using a fly.  If you use a weighted jig, it may be worth it, when you add a weighted jig it helicopters when you cast.

if you're fishing albies, you will get blues on the fly and on occasion will get bitten off by blues, it is my leading cause of losing splashers.

The cast is really easy, if you're using a short leader, less than 10', just cast it, no need to change your action.  You just don't want to lay the fly on the rocks when you cast, so you go from reeling in your previous cast right into your next cast without a pause.  With a long leader, 15' or more, you have to do it like a roll cast and sweep the line off the water--I've cast leaders as long as 30'.  I have never used those really long leaders for albies, only very fussy bonito.  For albies, really short leaders 4'-6' seem to work fine.

If you don't have access to flies try a 4" zoom fluke in white or watermelon color. You can rig it on a light jighead or weightless on a wide gap hook. 

21 hours ago, Slappy said:

If you use a nail, you have to hang the bait on the nail.  Not necessary when using a fly.  If you use a weighted jig, it may be worth it, when you add a weighted jig it helicopters when you cast.

if you're fishing albies, you will get blues on the fly and on occasion will get bitten off by blues, it is my leading cause of losing splashers.

The cast is really easy, if you're using a short leader, less than 10', just cast it, no need to change your action.  You just don't want to lay the fly on the rocks when you cast, so you go from reeling in your previous cast right into your next cast without a pause.  With a long leader, 15' or more, you have to do it like a roll cast and sweep the line off the water--I've cast leaders as long as 30'.  I have never used those really long leaders for albies, only very fussy bonito.  For albies, really short leaders 4'-6' seem to work fine.

Thanks Slappy for the detailed explaination.

19 hours ago, Dah seee said:

If you don't have access to flies try a 4" zoom fluke in white or watermelon color. You can rig it on a light jighead or weightless on a wide gap hook. 

Good idea,

Though I'm looking for some flies.

Thanks gents!

JD

8 hours ago, ottz700 said:

Hello SOL, would like to know where I could get some surf candies? Would like to try this egg and fly combo for albies? Thanks

or you could always peruse that auction site :howdy:

Good info here, thanks. 

Dumb question - how do you retrieve the surf candy with an egg? Fast retrieve like a metal or more of a popping action?

29 mins ago, FlukeOff said:

Good info here, thanks. 

Dumb question - how do you retrieve the surf candy with an egg? Fast retrieve like a metal or more of a popping action?

Great question,

id love to hear opinions on this top.

JD

On 8/28/2019 at 1:05 PM, Slappy said:

Using a nail would drive me nuts.   you need to be able to cast quickly and zip one out there.  It takes about 5 casts to figure out the best way to cast it.  Tens of thousands of casts for me with them, no nail.

:agree:with this 100%

When i used eggs with the hook hanger,  i learned quickly that the nail is more of a nuisance than an asset for a fly presentation.... I constantly got hung up on it & tangled, lost several flys & fish due to that.... yanked it off and was good to go, no more nails for me...

I believe that's a bait or heavier load thing to prevent helicoptering???

57 mins ago, jjdbike said:

I bought a few of these on line.

JD

16EE920B-459C-4889-B2DC-9865744DFEEC.jpeg

Are those surf candys? I got a couple but 6 bucks a piece is crazy, I’m also going to try just tying some bucktail on a hook and maybe adding some epoxy 

50 mins ago, nateD said:

Are those surf candys? I got a couple but 6 bucks a piece is crazy, I’m also going to try just tying some bucktail on a hook and maybe adding some epoxy 

Yes,

When I retire, I’m going to start tying again.

JD

Was surprised to find casting eggs at my local b&t which does more fresh than salt. They had both 1oz and 2oz. My albie rod is an 8’ MH Tidemaster  rated 1/2- 2oz. Which size egg would you recommend?