jjdbike

Albies, Bones, Macs: What fly w/casting egg?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

My favorite color bonito feather. It was so good for me in California but so far nothing in New York.

In my defense, it was used only two or tree times, just to see if I can get any snapper or schooly on it.

Favorite Fly01.jpg

8 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

Larry lurz egg off ebay has worked out fine for me, and for flies just don't over think it. They don't get brown trout picky, think basic profiles sizes and carry a few of each. Silver flake and olive are my favorite colors to tie, but there's a burnt orange and pink combination I've grown to love. 

The fly pictured is about the average size I will use, line spool for size reference. The egg is the heaviest of the Larry lurz eggs

DAFFE4D0-50D0-44E3-AFAB-54907C2D0935.jpeg

92E638A7-819A-4F12-B85E-E804DD2BDE76.jpeg

Thanks.

That's very similar to the white wooden casting eggs I have.

Is that a clouser minnow?

Do you also use surf candy?

6 hours ago, Popasilov said:

I use those casting bubbles

Casting Bubble03.jpg

Thanks, do any of you believe that the clear ones are better, i.e. spook pickey fish less, than the white wooden ones? 

The advantage I see to the style of the white wooden ones pictured here is they have a nail or screw that one attatches the hook to before casting. One would use a long leader, e.g. 6'. That's no problem w/ my 10' rod, but would be trickey w/ a 7 or 8'er. Dosen't matter w/ the nail because leader is halved, i.e. lure hooked to the egg. It comes of when cast lands.

Your thoughts?

JD

Posted (edited) · Report post

Craft store 99c egg .. I drill mine though and pour lead in the bottom for alil extra heft .. cast a mile .. but  epoxied in  screw eyes def hold just fine 

x2 for the candies .. I also make my own to Taylor to my wants .. proven and durable, and I don’t think they rod your cast as much when used as teaser  since the shape and density 

1EE41C2B-1CD0-463A-9FF2-1E07458CB758.jpeg

E1047C1B-C449-4C33-A880-F26AF197A430.jpeg

Edited by Wire For Fire

2 hours ago, ccb said:

nice combo there.

Thanks . Surf candies I finally got where I’m pretty happy with them .. only took a few year and couple hundred ties lol  not that the ugly ones didn’t catch cause they did .. hell I’ve seen guys slay on just some white bucktail slapped on hook with some janky red thread .. the fish really don’t care about pretty .. more just profile imo so don’t get to hung on what fly’s is my advice ..but changing color can be what makes a difference sometimes and others not so much sooo ....

Definitely will be giving this a shot on an upcoming trip to MV. Could you, as an alternative to the bubble or egg use a pencil popper ( or any long cast floating plug) with the rear treble removed? 

What length of line are you guys using behind the float? I've suggestions 2' to 15'. Is there any benefit to longer? The longer it gets the more difficult to manage the cast?  

8 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks, do any of you believe that the clear ones are better, i.e. spook pickey fish less, than the white wooden ones? 

The advantage I see to the style of the white wooden ones pictured here is they have a nail or screw that one attatches the hook to before casting. 

Two thoughts:

I find that the clear ones get eaten by blues less frequently than the white casting eggs.  Blues are my leading cause of egg loss.

Using a nail would drive me nuts.   you need to be able to cast quickly and zip one out there.  It takes about 5 casts to figure out the best way to cast it.  Tens of thousands of casts for me with them, no nail.

1 hour ago, fishnbear said:

Definitely will be giving this a shot on an upcoming trip to MV. Could you, as an alternative to the bubble or egg use a pencil popper ( or any long cast floating plug) with the rear treble removed? 

Supper strike popper work well .. take off back or both hooks 

9 hours ago, JimKu said:

Yes you can use plug instead of an egg. The whole idea of the egg is to provide a weight to cast a small light fly.  

And to make a little bit noise and splash.

15 hours ago, Slappy said:

Two thoughts:

I find that the clear ones get eaten by blues less frequently than the white casting eggs.  Blues are my leading cause of egg loss.

Using a nail would drive me nuts.   you need to be able to cast quickly and zip one out there.  It takes about 5 casts to figure out the best way to cast it.  Tens of thousands of casts for me with them, no nail.

Interesting,

1. I wonder how many people have had eggs bitten off by bluefish, or even heard of it happening?

2. Why would using a nial drive you nuts? 

3. I'm guessing it's similar to a roll cast (though pretty different) while fly fishing? I'm guessing the friction from pulling the egg from that water would impact one's casting distance?

JD