jjdbike

Albies, Bones, Macs: What fly w/casting egg?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

On another post (clips for funny fish), people suggested that when they are really fussy or apparently impossible, to get to bite, flys w/ a casting egg are the ticket.

If this is so, what flys do you folks like?

Is this a match the hatch situation or is there a genearlly accepted pattern, size, color that produces most of the time?

Also, generally speaking, is a 6' 20lb floro leader off the egg generally considered the go-to set up?

Thanks in advance!

JD

11 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Hey folks,

On another post (clips for funny fish), people suggested that when they are really fussy or apparently impossible, to get to bite, flys w/ a casting egg are the ticket.

If this is so, what flys do you folks like?

Is this a match the hatch situation or is there a genearlly accepted pattern, size, color that produces most of the time?

Also, generally speaking, is a 6' 20lb floro leader off the egg generally considered the go-to set up?

Thanks in advance!

JD

All day every day ... use a Surf Candy. They come in different styles to "match the hatch" ... but that's the whole point. The fish are "fussy" because they are keyed into small (like rain bait) baitfish. That could be bay anchovies or peanut bunker, etc. The Surf Candy imitates these smaller baits perfectly and they cast really well (little line or feather fouling). 

So yeah ....throw the egg (I recently bought one) with a  flurocarbon leader tied to a bay anchovy / silverside Surf Candy ... and voila' ALBIE HOOKED UP.

All I can tell you is that one time, I was fishing along side someone who was using a casting egg/fly rig for false albacore...in the early part of the afternoon, they were easy to catch and everyone was catching on whatever they were throwing. However, as the afternoon wore on, they became increasingly finicky to where most of us were pretty much effectively out of the game while the egg/fly combo continued to catch...while I still have never used one (here in the NE, I had luck with mackerel down in FL), I now carry them in my bag (just in case)

I grew up fishing eggs, on the west coast we called them splashers or bubbles.  They are amazingly effective when the bite is tough, especially from shore.  All my most spectacular hits from albies came using the splasher and feather, it is a very visual technique.

the in-line plastic bubbles that you fill with water cast the best and are rigged like an egg sinker.  They come in many sizes, make sure you get the biggest, 2.5" they weigh about 2 oz when filled with water.

Cheap ones are made of very brittle plastic and break when you bang them into a rock.  Better ones are a softer plastic that is very tough, they last a long time.  Rainbow plastics makes a good quality bubble.

12 mins ago, Slappy said:

I grew up fishing eggs, on the west coast we called them splashers or bubbles.  They are amazingly effective when the bite is tough, especially from shore.  All my most spectacular hits from albies came using the splasher and feather, it is a very visual technique.

the in-line plastic bubbles that you fill with water cast the best and are rigged like an egg sinker.  They come in many sizes, make sure you get the biggest, 2.5" they weigh about 2 oz when filled with water.

Cheap ones are made of very brittle plastic and break when you bang them into a rock.  Better ones are a softer plastic that is very tough, they last a long time.  Rainbow plastics makes a good quality bubble.

Like this? I notice some have a nail to put your fly on to is that not really necessary?

download.png

that's it.

I fished them for close to 30 years with no nail, so it may not be necessary.  You learn to cast it by sweeping the fly off the water with your motion.  I've cast bubbles with the fly 30' behind, there were times when that was the only thing that would produce.

Cool, thanks I'm gonna pick a couple up. Ran in to what I think was a school of bones last week and they wouldn't touch a thing, threw every color tin and plastic I had at them.

24 mins ago, Slappy said:

In California, those you can buy almost in 7-11 with coffee and doughnuts.

Not a case here. Took me while to find them.

1 hour ago, Popasilov said:

In California, those you can buy almost in 7-11 with coffee and doughnuts.

Not a case here. Took me while to find them.

Very true.  When I go out to CA I always find somewhere to buy a few bags of them.  Then I lose them in my tackle collection and have to buy more.

Larry lurz egg off ebay has worked out fine for me, and for flies just don't over think it. They don't get brown trout picky, think basic profiles sizes and carry a few of each. Silver flake and olive are my favorite colors to tie, but there's a burnt orange and pink combination I've grown to love. 

The fly pictured is about the average size I will use, line spool for size reference. The egg is the heaviest of the Larry lurz eggs

DAFFE4D0-50D0-44E3-AFAB-54907C2D0935.jpeg

92E638A7-819A-4F12-B85E-E804DD2BDE76.jpeg