bob_G

An observation

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2019 at 1:24 PM, bob_G said:

Drove through Wareham center early this AM. Stopped in at the state funded fishing area behind the Narrows Restaurant. It was there I noticed a prominently displaced 2'x2' state sign stating a Ma saltwater license was required to fish here, and it showed a sample copy of the license.

I guess my question us, if the DMF can place that sign in a place that receives such limited use, why can't they put the same signs in several languages in high traffic areas along the canal?

I recently asked the department  environmental police that very question on there on line face book page as well as in a private e mail to the DMF and as of yet no response from either one. Some one put contaminated shell fish area signs down at the east end recently and of course pick up after your dog signs .

20 hours ago, speedwell said:

(Tongue in cheek) BG, how are they going to pay the brass if they waste money on signs and foot soldiers?

Yeah, those SUV's and boats aren't going to be free...:beatin:

Of course there's also a possibility (slim as it is) that they DID put signs up, and someone chose to remove them because it offended them and made them feel like a criminal....:banghd:

19 hours ago, bob_G said:

That's kind of what I suspected. Sad if it's really the case. A state agency can't work in harmony with a federal agency towards the same goal. You'd think managing the striper biomass would be a priority.

That being the case, the ACOE sure seems to put a high priority on dog poop.  There's "pick up your dog poop" signs all over the canal.

That isn't working out too well either. People think putting it in a bag and leaving it there is good enough.enough.

2 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

That isn't working out too well either. People think putting it in a bag and leaving it there is good enough.enough.

Tying to a tree makes it good.......

bob_G, after you started the lack of signage thread in early May which contained many posts with good suggestions  about sign locations and comments, I checked the land side East End and only found the license requirement sign similar to what you described near at the access path to the jetty and access road.  I also checked the Sagamore Bridge parking lot and the Scusset Beach State Fishing pier and found no DMF fishing signs. I couldn't believe there were no signs at the fish pier and Emailed DMF Director Dave Pierce and Assistant Director Mike Armstrong Emailed me back and aid his recreational fisheries staff was addressing this ASAP.  There was still nothing up when I checked recently so I'm going to contact Director Pierce again and strongly urge the staff address  this deficiency before he retires.  

I know it's getting late in the season but I'd rather see durable signs up now than go through this again next Spring. There's no excuse in this lack of signs given that the recreational fisheries license revenue is dedicated for recreational fisheries improvement and they use it for lots of positive projects including significant public access acquisition and fish pie construction.  Go on the DMF website and look up the 2019 1st and 2nd quarter DMF Newsletter for more info. 

Secondly, the Cape Cod Salties have been cleaning up the Cape side of the Canal for at least 20 years and a cleanup is scheduled for Sept 21.  Unfortunately, like many fishing clubs, the Salties are getting long in the teeth and might welcome younger more agile members of this forum to help out and tackle the riprap.  Sat morning Sept 21, if you're interested .

Also, he Office of Coastal Zone Management also scheduled a clean up in the fall but I don't know if that's still going on.  

28 mins ago, fishcrat said:

bob_G, after you started the lack of signage thread in early May which contained many posts with good suggestions  about sign locations and comments, I checked the land side East End and only found the license requirement sign similar to what you described near at the access path to the jetty and access road.  I also checked the Sagamore Bridge parking lot and the Scusset Beach State Fishing pier and found no DMF fishing signs. I couldn't believe there were no signs at the fish pier and Emailed DMF Director Dave Pierce and Assistant Director Mike Armstrong Emailed me back and aid his recreational fisheries staff was addressing this ASAP.  There was still nothing up when I checked recently so I'm going to contact Director Pierce again and strongly urge the staff address  this deficiency before he retires.  

I know it's getting late in the season but I'd rather see durable signs up now than go through this again next Spring. There's no excuse in this lack of signs given that the recreational fisheries license revenue is dedicated for recreational fisheries improvement and they use it for lots of positive projects including significant public access acquisition and fish pie construction.  Go on the DMF website and look up the 2019 1st and 2nd quarter DMF Newsletter for more info. 

Secondly, the Cape Cod Salties have been cleaning up the Cape side of the Canal for at least 20 years and a cleanup is scheduled for Sept 21.  Unfortunately, like many fishing clubs, the Salties are getting long in the teeth and might welcome younger more agile members of this forum to help out and tackle the riprap.  Sat morning Sept 21, if you're interested .

Also, he Office of Coastal Zone Management also scheduled a clean up in the fall but I don't know if that's still going on.  

Any signs that are made up by the Division of marine Fishery must go through the Army Corp for Posting . THis means that both the corp and marine fish have to be on the same page on this one . I do know that the environmental folks would love to see posted signs as well in multiple languages and that is being worked on as we post

5 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Any signs that are made up by the Division of marine Fishery must go through the Army Corp for Posting . THis means that both the corp and marine fish have to be on the same page on this one. 

I'm certain Mr Fishcrat is well aware of this.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Has anyone ever had their saltwater license checked anywhere?

The first year or two after it came out, local cops in one RI town used it as an excuse to stop and question late night fishermen and sniff em.

That's the only use I've ever seen made of the saltwater license. 

Are you guys thinking if they put up signs 10 years after the law passed, people are suddenly going to rush out to buy the license?

Edited by mikez2

I’ve never had a fishing license checked in my life and I’m fine with it. The last thing I want is to be hassled with showing a license. Imagine if you could be stopped at anytime while driving just for a license check.  

Also signs aren’t going to do anything. The people that don’t follow the rules don’t give a crap about signs telling them what to do. 

7 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Has anyone ever had their saltwater license checked anywhere?

The first year or two after it came out, local cops in one RI town used it as an excuse to stop and question late night fishermen and sniff em.

That's the only use I've ever seen made of the saltwater license. 

Are you guys thinking if they put up signs 10 years after the law passed, people are suddenly going to rush out to buy the license?

Mikez2,

Personally I've never had my saltwater license checked, and it's something that astonishes me.  

But you'd be amazed at the number of people out there who fish without the required license. But what harm cannot do? Having signs made in several languages, and posting them in select high traffic locations will give at least some people pause for concern. 

11 hours ago, bob_G said:

I'm certain Mr Fishcrat is well aware of this.

Bob you may be correct on this however we have many others that look in here that do not understand the dynamics between the state department and  our local Federal Army Corp engineers who control  what happens inside the canal for any purpose. Since he did not include it in his original post I thought it important enough to mention it for general knowledge for those looking in to better understand the whole process.

Glad to see you support signs in different languages along the canal that help to explain the reasons why we have laws in the first place and also indicate what they are . This is something we have been speaking about here for years and always seems to get lost in the post when being discussed. As recently as the other day I can say that this is being considered as part of an information educational needed process to help every one better understand how we can perhaps save what is left of our striped bass resource for the future.

9 hours ago, z-man said:

I’ve never had a fishing license checked in my life and I’m fine with it. The last thing I want is to be hassled with showing a license. Imagine if you could be stopped at anytime while driving just for a license check.  

Also signs aren’t going to do anything. The people that don’t follow the rules don’t give a crap about signs telling them what to do. 

Z Man your last comment is very correct and that is why the signs must also explain the reasons Why we have the regulations along with the regulations in the most common languages presently fishing the canal to better define this whole process the best way possible.  From my personal observations that would mean at least 5 different nationalities  along with English, be looked at . It may be to late, it may not be, however something needs to be done to better educate those who do care about what they are doing to the resource is not good. Then with an empowered environmental police force actually enforcing with vigor all and every regulation make the general public more aware of our responsibility as care keepers of the natural resources we all cherish . I also have never been asked to see my fishing license as well, but that can be a good thing ?    

51 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Z Man your last comment is very correct and that is why the signs must also explain the reasons Why we have the regulations along with the regulations in the most common languages presently fishing the canal to better define this whole process the best way possible.  From my personal observations that would mean at least 5 different nationalities  along with English, be looked at . It may be to late, it may not be, however something needs to be done to better educate those who do care about what they are doing to the resource is not good. Then with an empowered environmental police force actually enforcing with vigor all and every regulation make the general public more aware of our responsibility as care keepers of the natural resources we all cherish . I also have never been asked to see my fishing license as well, but that can be a good thing ?    

Have you asked the brown ones for a license yourself?

How do you even know they don't have one?

Do you really think THEM PEOPLE are gonna go somewhere else because somebody blows a bunch a $$$$ on signs no one will read?

How about the game warden just walks along and check licenses?