dannyplug1

SP MINNOW VS YOZURI HYDRO LONG CAST MINNOWc

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Curious which casts the furthest.  Is there a situation in which one plug excels over the other?  With a limited plug budget which would you purchase.  Thanks Charlie 

I haven't noticed a significant difference in casting. The Yozuri swims quite a bit shallower, with a very tight wiggle, it can be fished faster. The opposite applies to the SP; it swims with a wide wobble as slow as you can move it, and dives 2-3 feet. I just mentioned in another thread if you take the back hook off a 17f SP, it barely dives at all, which is an option.

I generally prefer the ability to fish slow and twitchy, so I'll take the SP if I had to pick one or the other.

I agree with ermghoti, they both cast excellent. I fish a rocky bottom with shallow water. I can’t use the SP there because it swims too deep but the Hydro is fine there. I never heard about removing the rear hook from the SP but I am definitely going to try it. Both are excellent plugs.

I'm using the 1 7/8 oz LC quite a bit, and it's been great. I use 5/0 inline singles on it and it seems to track better than an SP. I'm also getting comparable distance, and action on the new 1 7/8oz twitchbait.

Message_1565464338187.jpg

3 hours ago, Mojoe said:

I agree with ermghoti, they both cast excellent. I fish a rocky bottom with shallow water. I can’t use the SP there because it swims too deep but the Hydro is fine there. I never heard about removing the rear hook from the SP but I am definitely going to try it. Both are excellent plugs.

For whatever reason, it was only on the 17F model. I wonder if going to a lighter hook like a single would cause the same thing on a 13F or 15F. I have seen that going to heavier hooks can make them suspend, so maybe there's something there.

3 hours ago, Local66 said:

I'm using the 1 7/8 oz LC quite a bit, and it's been great. I use 5/0 inline singles on it and it seems to track better than an SP. I'm also getting comparable distance, and action on the new 1 7/8oz twitchbait.

That reminds me, , the Hydro is a tiny hair heavier at a given size, so if that pushes a rod into or out of its sweet spot, you could notice a casting difference for that reason. Unlikely but possible.

The yozuri definitely casts better. I find it has a wider wobble like the bombers and the sp has a tighter wobble. Probably because of how I fish them. Prefer the SP. for some reason I just get more hits and it isn’t even close. The yozuri is a great plug too though for those days you need that little bit extra distance

Sp’s are great, Hydro’s work sometimes, Crystal minnows, especially the jointed, are my best producer.

DD1719CA-91FE-4A11-A2AF-0CE2A6DE600D.jpeg

i like the yozuri it casts farther and you don't need to swap the split rings or hooks which are trash on the sp by default.  But agree both plugs are great products either works great.....buy the 2 cheapest in common colors and test them yourself as how you fish and where you fish is important...I fish snaggy areas so like the yozuri better....

good luck tight lines...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yo-Zuri and Rapalas are actually down in the ladder when it comes to casting distance due to its usual fixed-weight design... though you stated limitations with the budget, next to it are the Duo Jerkbaits... If you want further casting distance, though a bit pricey, try the Megabass X-80 Magnum or any of the X-80 series... Luckily, I've owned only a couple of Yo-Zuri Crystal minnows and a couple of Rapala x-Raps and never again will I consider them when casting distance is the story of the day... only thing nice I like with YZs and Raps is the toughness/quality of the color coating...

Edited by pidyok

46 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

The yozuri definitely casts better. I find it has a wider wobble like the bombers and the sp has a tighter wobble. Probably because of how I fish them.

That's interesting, how are you getting a Hydro to wobble? I went all the way to basically trying to walk the dog with mine, and couldn't get more than a shudder. I only tried the big one, is the 6" different?

I've had better luck with bass on hydro minnows last 2 springs than SP's. Stock hardware doesn't need to be changed and great for shallow flat surf where SP's would be dragging bottom in some spots. 

3 hours ago, ermghoti said:

That's interesting, how are you getting a Hydro to wobble? I went all the way to basically trying to walk the dog with mine, and couldn't get more than a shudder. I only tried the big one, is the 6" different?

Not sure. I only use the larger one. I do a really slow retrieve like fishing a bucktail but slower. I do upgrade the hooks to 4X VMC so maybe  that has sorting to do with it as well. I really don’t throw it much though

7 hours ago, ermghoti said:

I haven't noticed a significant difference in casting. The Yozuri swims quite a bit shallower, with a very tight wiggle, it can be fished faster. The opposite applies to the SP; it swims with a wide wobble as slow as you can move it, and dives 2-3 feet. I just mentioned in another thread if you take the back hook off a 17f SP, it barely dives at all, which is an option.

I generally prefer the ability to fish slow and twitchy, so I'll take the SP if I had to pick one or the other.

I just tried the SP with the rear hook removed, definitely works as you said. Gets just as much if not more wobble without the hook. Do you replace it with anything? I’m thinking of adding a tail feather.

57 mins ago, Mojoe said:

I just tried the SP with the rear hook removed, definitely works as you said. Gets just as much if not more wobble without the hook. Do you replace it with anything? I’m thinking of adding a tail feather.

Left the rear loop naked for now.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Mojoe said:

The tail feather will kill the wobble again.

I use a belly treble and a hookless teaser on the back for high speed trolling (SP I'm talking about btw) since the teaser keeps it more stable by reducing the wobble, and I'll fish it with just the belly treble if there are blues around.

The mackerel pattern on the hydro minnow is one of my favorite plugs, especially since it can be fished out of the box. SP minnows have a better versatility, but it's ridiculous they haven't changed the stock hardware after all this time

Edited by Sir Defyable