Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joe0306

Two unrelated questions about circle hooks and Seagulls

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, fishonnelsons said:

Birds, nothing you can do.

A cormorant got our lure yesterday, bastard actually bit me when I was trying to unfree it, ungrateful sob. Broke skin, went and got a tetanus shot just to be safe.

Smart move also had a similar situation awhile back . Flew into my line and I reeled him up and even after cutting the line to undo it . I took off his blindfold and the sob laid me open on my finger . It is important to keep that tetanus up to date abd even get a boost when not sure. It may well help to prevent a serious infection/ How goes the battle my friend. 

9 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Smart move also had a similar situation awhile back . Flew into my line and I reeled him up and even after cutting the line to undo it . I took off his blindfold and the sob laid me open on my finger . It is important to keep that tetanus up to date abd even get a boost when not sure. It may well help to prevent a serious infection/ How goes the battle my friend. 

Well, thanks. Without the tackle shop, just doing the charters is a nice retirement, plus I have a captain friend doing some each week for me so I can help babysit the 18 month grandnephew. Never had kids, so really enjoying.

Much like seal..seagulls should have an open season on them like geese..too many of the sea rats.. circle hooks ..personally I just raise the rod so lines tight fish will generally set itself give alittle pop but nothing like when u set a regular hook

Circle hooks work best when the bass starts to run and pulls the line with him. Then the hook will pull out from the bait and as the line is pulling out of the bass the hook will catch in the corner of the mouth. The bass has to be dragging the line, if you just pull on the line too quickly it, and the hook will come straight out.

On 8/25/2019 at 7:52 PM, joe0306 said:

Hey all, just some questions that came up during fishing today.

First:

What is the best strategy for setting a circle hook on a striper after you feel a bite? I've heard to release the bail, reel in slightly, or tilt rod 90 degrees. What is the best way in your experience directly after feeling the bite? I use a spin reel btw, fishing from rocks.

I gut hooked my 2nd schoolie today on J hooks and really want to stop doing this, so it seems my only option are circles.

Second:

Is there anything to do with overly aggressive seagulls? They seem to be the gray type of seagulls that began to show up at my fishing spot, and these birds chase anything that I cast and steal a ton of my bait immediately after I cast. What can I do? 

Also, unfortunately managed to catch 2 of these birds, one with a hook and the other on a 7 inch SP minnow which I retrieved from the bird. Is there anything I can do other than finding a new spot?

1. A circle hook is good at setting itself, when the fish turns with the bait.  I’d let the bail out for a second, to let him eat, and then close the bail.

One quite important thing to remember is that a circle hook can / will gut hook a fish if the hook point is buried into the bait.

If the fish swallows the bait, when you apply the tension the hook can snag the gut and throat (fish will close their throat when chunks are swallowed). Happens more often when you try to "set the hook" instead of applying tension to the line.

I agree too, that when it comes to birds all you can do is try to avoid them and deter them from being a nuisance.

You will have to decide for yourself what that deterrent will be....