coastalfreak

G. Loomis after Shimano

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I know it's been a while, but how did Shimano affect G. Loomis' quality? For the better? Worse? Is it the same? 

I'm too broke to buy one but I like looking at them lol. 

For me personally, it's an expensive choice to purchase a rod which has nothing to do anymore with its name. I cross shopped the g loomis e6x inshore with a st croix mojo bass, and I couldn't tell in the store of a serious difference in lightness, so it wasn't worth the extra 70$ price premium. I even brought in the reel I would be using with it, and put it on both rods, and spent a good while going between the 2, and ended up picking the st croix. Also, I like how st croix lists the components they use, and the weight of the rod, whereas g loomis kind of buries that info for their "cheaper" rods. I'd be curious to know if someone has both the rods I mentioned, and notices a huge difference in sensitivity, durability, etc. I hear you on the broke status, I had never bought a non ugly stik rod before, and I had $130 in BPS gift cards, which was the exact price of the st croix, so it was like a sign lol. My next "pricey" rod will probably be a mojo inshore or a toadfish, I really like the look of those rods. 

16 mins ago, yakscientist said:

For me personally, it's an expensive choice to purchase a rod which has nothing to do anymore with its name. I cross shopped the g loomis e6x inshore with a st croix mojo bass, and I couldn't tell in the store of a serious difference in lightness, so it wasn't worth the extra 70$ price premium. I even brought in the reel I would be using with it, and put it on both rods, and spent a good while going between the 2, and ended up picking the st croix. Also, I like how st croix lists the components they use, and the weight of the rod, whereas g loomis kind of buries that info for their "cheaper" rods. I'd be curious to know if someone has both the rods I mentioned, and notices a huge difference in sensitivity, durability, etc. I hear you on the broke status, I had never bought a non ugly stik rod before, and I had $130 in BPS gift cards, which was the exact price of the st croix, so it was like a sign lol. My next "pricey" rod will probably be a mojo inshore or a toadfish, I really like the look of those rods. 

Thanks for your response. Good info. 

I need Ugly Stiks because I’m so clumsy I will break anything else. Lol.

Those toadfishes have caught my eye for a while now.  

Loomis way overpriced , Gary’s new company EDGE has a great product for 30% less ! However as stated it’s a wait to get your rod , they sell direct to consumer only!

4 hours ago, Capt. Lou said:

Loomis way overpriced , Gary’s new company EDGE has a great product for 30% less ! However as stated it’s a wait to get your rod , they sell direct to consumer only!

just purchased a surf rod from edge and luckily received the rod in 10 days, Rod better ,lighter and cheaper than shimano prices.

Having tried several I’d say they’re very nice rods, but overpriced. They’ve discontinued their surf rods, for what that’s worth. I do have the latest 9-foot IMX Surf rod and it’s an excellent rod, but it’s not worth $550 to me. I only got it by trading in an old broken 90’s 1264-S rod with their “expeditor program”. The guy at Shimano I spoke with said they expect to cut back further on the G.Loomis line.

11 hours ago, yakscientist said:

What did you think of the difference in the action of the e6x vs mojo? Spin or conventional?

From my recent experience I still really like G.Loomis rods and prefer some of them to St. Croix's.   I recently purchased an IMX-Pro Blue 843S and comparing it to a similar St Croix rod, the Legend Inshort 7' MH that I already owned, the Loomis is lighter, better balanced, it cast slight better and overall I like the blank more.  The St. Croix's components might be nicer, but not by too much.

I compared the Loomis E6X Inshore to the St. Croix Tidemaster and I give a slight edge to the Loomis, mostly because of certain rods with actions that are unique.

I think it boils down to individual series and models.  I prefer some Loomis and some St Croix.  I think that in many cases Loomis is behind St Croix when it comes to saltwater and surf and that Loomis does not introduce new saltwater rods too often.  I do like the Loomis IMX Surf blanks but do not like the guides and layout that are used. IMO, Loomis freshwater rods may be a bit better.

The new IMX Pro Blue rods Loomis just launched are a dream! I need a new fishing pole like a hole in the head but may find myself pulling the trigger. So well balanced, light, with awesome tapers/action. 

Loomis/Shimano still put out a great rod IMO. Expensive yes but you're getting good craftsmanship. Kudos to Shimano for keeping the rods made in the USA and not shipping them overseas.

47 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

The new IMX Pro Blue rods Loomis just launched are a dream! I need a new fishing pole like a hole in the head but may find myself pulling the trigger. So well balanced, light, with awesome tapers/action. 

Loomis/Shimano still put out a great rod IMO. Expensive yes but you're getting good craftsmanship. Kudos to Shimano for keeping the rods made in the USA and not shipping them overseas.

Yep.  Agreed!   I have the IMX 843S and the IMX 845C - both are great. The IMX material is only mid level, it's the design and taper that makes them so special.   I also have the original 844S and it is nice, but the IMX is definitely an improvement. The components are slightly upgraded too.  I'm thinking of selling the original and upgrading to the IMX.