ex-Googan

Gloucester -- Little help pls?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

19 mins ago, rst3 said:

Honest question.

I know you do very well with surface plugs, but I'll put a question to you first posed to me by Martha at surfland:

Martha: do you think that bass see anything other than the underbelly of plugs?

Martha: Which is in most cases...

Me: white.

Martha: so there you go.

Do you think it matters bigly or littly, what the top/back of a surface plug is?

If it’s at least half white, it’s at least half right

Edited by Pescador710

57 mins ago, rst3 said:

Honest question.

I know you do very well with surface plugs, but I'll put a question to you first posed to me by Martha at surfland:

Do you think it matters bigly or littly, what the top/back of a surface plug is?

The redfin rolls and wobbles and shows its sides, like a struggling fish.

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, rst3 said:

Honest question.

Yes, when it's a pencil poppers. The pencil poppers enters the water a high speed and a splash depending on the angle of cast you wanted to using. you can pull the lure underwater for the first 4 feet of the retrieve and then start working the lure. There is where color matters; the first 4 feet. Second is a reflection around the lure; a glow of all white or yellow from the sun around the lure. Third color matters when you want to work the lure slow or fast; fast you get the above-mentioned glow & reflection and slow the tail of the pencil poppers drops into the water column saying here i am splash splash. I hear what you're saying so like you i do not put much stock in crazy colors; I only use 3; yellow over white, all white and rainbow blue over green over yellow. Over the years these colors best attract the fish when they are looking up. White is always on the bottom no matter what the plug is. Hope that helps and PLEASE CATCH AND RELEASE :) 

Edited by BrianOC

22 hours ago, rst3 said:

Honest question.

Yes, to be visible to me as I work it.  It's tough to pick them out in rough surf sometimes, esp. at dawn.  And some surface plugs I like to fish subsurface at times, sinking Little Neck say, or the small Howdy.