ex-Googan

Gloucester -- Little help pls?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Will be up in Gloucester Memorial Labor Day weekend.   Plan to fish the beach and rocks a few times.  Would like to know what bait is around to help in packing my surf bag.  Not asking for a spot burn--I know where I'll fish, all walking distance from where we stay.  

I see by other posts the bunker have been thick on North Shore.  Anything else around?  Any particular plugs been working lately?  (And why is it that I never see folks up there fishing pencils when the bunker  sorry, Pogies, are around?)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Edited by ex-Googan
brain fart

Posted (edited)

Pencils work even when they’re not showing. Along with this year’s pogies, mackerel, sea herring, pollock, squid and sand eels are typical prey items. 

Edited by Pescador710

Pencils off the Cape Ann rocks work just fine. Whether bunker are around or not. Also, dont need to throw 3oz behemoths to getrdone. Sometimes smaller pencils are the ticket 

From the rocks on Cape Ann I would pack some 1 or 2 oz bucktails, some diamond jigs, some bottle plugs, couple sinking needles and some minnow plugs or metal lip swimmers, throw in some top water plugs and you can cover the entire water column. 

Pollock and mackerel patterns are standard for that area no matter what is showing. 

I always liked the smokey joe colored redfin. The redfin because the boulders stick up and grab anything that runs deeper.

Posted (edited)

I’m staying at one of the coves on Cape Ann in 2 weeks and I think the owner said they catch halibut right there.  Do they really come in that shallow or are they actually fluke?  Also, how is the best way to catch them?  High low rigs with clams or jigs?

Edited by greenhornet73
Misspell

4 hours ago, greenhornet73 said:

I’m staying at one of the coves on Cape Ann in 2 weeks and I think the owner said they catch halibut right there.  Do they really come in that shallow or are they actually fluke?  Also, how is the best way to catch them?  High low rigs with clams or jigs?

Is it possible he told you to fish Halibut Point? 

No halibut or fluke to be had from shore but striper fishing can be done at the State park with that name. 

On 8/25/2019 at 5:02 PM, Pescador710 said:

Pencils work even when they’re not showing. Along with this year’s pogies, mackerel, sea herring, pollock, squid and sand eels are typical prey items. 

pencil poppers?

9 hours ago, BrianOC said:

yellow over white. 

Honest question.

I know you do very well with surface plugs, but I'll put a question to you first posed to me by Martha at surfland:

Martha: do you think that bass see anything other than the underbelly of plugs?

Martha: Which is in most cases...

Me: white.

Martha: so there you go.

Do you think it matters bigly or littly, what the top/back of a surface plug is?