kooch

Recommended Rod for Eastern North Shore L.I.?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

First post! - Now that I live 5 minutes from the water and my little guy is showing interest I'm just getting back into fishing again. Never really did much shore/surf fishing I was always a bridge/boat guy. I have a lighter 8' 3/8-1oz rod with a BG 3000 that I have been using to throw small plastics, bucktails and swimmers and have been happy with it. With the fall coming up quickly I'm thinking I will need a rod that I can throw bigger heavier lures further. I will primarily be using this rod for the NE end of L.I. and occasionally the ocean inlets if I decide to venture south. After reading about rod-reel setups on SOL for days I was leaning toward a Lamiglas GSB 91MS (108 1L) or ODM Genesis  9' with a Spinfisher VI 4500.. I was hoping the SOL crowd can steer me in the right direction. 

Edited by kooch

Either one should do you fine.  There is usually good fall bluefish action on NE winds on the eastern end of the North Fork, albeit they seem to be down quite a bit this year.

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Either one should do you fine.  There is usually good fall bluefish action on NE winds on the eastern end of the North Fork, albeit they seem to be down quite a bit this year.

Thanks for the confirmation.

...I havent seen a single blue fish landed yet at the beach I frequent. I was expecting to see at least a few by now.

Edited by kooch

You, me, and everyone else.

But.

One of Doc Mueller's most important remarks, in a Fisherman article years ago, was the significance of August 20.  Within a few days of that date, earlier or later, the first nor'easter goes past LI.  No one notices save meteorologists and such because it's little more than a pressure wave, not a real storm. But it is the real start of fall fishing.  

4 hours ago, kooch said:

...I havent seen a single blue fish landed yet at the beach I frequent. I was expecting to see at least a few by now.

Take a ticket and stand in the (long, long) line.

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

You, me, and everyone else.