Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ErikT

Sad news - RIP John Karl

10 posts in this topic

I’m being honest when I say I have never met a more genuine human being than “Johnny Wheels”   That’s what we called him when I was a kid and he used to come ripping down Hillside Terrace in his wheelchair with his fishing rods on the back. This guy was a super fisherman and he only fished from a kayak. I would see him everywhere in Raritan Bay and he was also crazy enough to fish under the VZ in his tiny SIK! 

Not sure what his SOL handle was but he was definitely registered here and I’m pretty sure most of you in the Kayak community know him. 

Anyway, here’s his obituary which is really well written. This guy was salt of the earth and will be sorely missed by anyone whoever had the pleasure of speaking with him. Rest In Peace John... you were and always will be a legend in the Staten Island fishing community...

https://mobileobits.silive.com/obituaries/siadvance/obituary.aspx?n=john-karl&pid=193730291&referrer=0&preview=True

Great guy “Wheelz” had the pleasure of meeting him at one of the early Jamaica Bay tournaments - just a really nice guy.  RIP

The first person I met on the water was Johnny Wheels. He was drifting a channel edge and hailed me over with that booming voice...introduced himself and we fished together for a few. Would run into him throughout the season when I used to fish SI more. An absolute legend. RIP.

Wow... I remembered tossing frisbee with him at JBay... very nice guy and seriously a capable ultimate player

he will be missed.

condolences to his family