coastalfreak

What Rod Weight?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm looking for my first fly fishing rod. I am kinda a small fish nerd, so this rod would be used for Kingfish (Whiting), Speckled Sea Trout, Small Redfish, etc. 

I read that 8-10 weight is good for Whiting. Since they are bottom feeders. My local F&S has a Redington Crosswater 4 piece 8 weight right now. 

Also, what would be a good cheaper reel to pair up with that rod if I bought it?

Thanks. 

Edited by coastalfreak

First you need to tell us what size flyes you use and how long casts are needed and it defines line weight. Rod selection comes last.

Esa

44 mins ago, crunch said:

First you need to tell us what size flyes you use and how long casts are needed and it defines line weight. Rod selection comes last.

Esa

I probably do not need to cast far for the type of fishing I am doing. In the surf, I would be casting really not to far beyond the breakers. In the backwater marshes, really not far whatsoever. Like this. 

I really don't know what the sizes of flies are. The only thing I can plan ahead right now is throwing Sand Flea Imitation flies like this:

Marsh.jpg

sand_flea_g.jpg

molecrab5.jpg

For those Sand Fleas 5wt line (or 160gr line head) or 6wt line (190gr head) is enough. Generally 8wt (260gr head) is good for 3inch streamer. Strong winds need heavier line. Most current rods are stiff for standard lines so one or two weight class lighter can be good.

Esa

I use a 9' 6 wgt for my light salt water fishing.   I can handle fish up to 5 lbs on mine.  With the size of the flies you'll be throwing, a 6 wgt would be ideal.  You can also throw 3 inch streamers with it.  If you fish fresh water you can use it for bass and pan fish.  I'm not going to recommend a reel.  You don't need to pay over a $100 for it.   When you do get one, get a spare spool for it, that way you could load one with WF floating line for fishing the area in the picture, and sinking or sink tip line on the other spool for when you're fishing for kingfish in the surf. 

2 hours ago, crunch said:

For those Sand Fleas 5wt line (or 160gr line head) or 6wt line (190gr head) is enough. Generally 8wt (260gr head) is good for 3inch streamer. Strong winds need heavier line. Most current rods are stiff for standard lines so one or two weight class lighter can be good.

Esa

6 mins ago, Philly said:

I use a 9' 6 wgt for my light salt water fishing.   I can handle fish up to 5 lbs on mine.  With the size of the flies you'll be throwing, a 6 wgt would be ideal.  You can also throw 3 inch streamers with it.  If you fish fresh water you can use it for bass and pan fish.  I'm not going to recommend a reel.  You don't need to pay over a $100 for it.   When you do get one, get a spare spool for it, that way you could load one with WF floating line for fishing the area in the picture, and sinking or sink tip line on the other spool for when you're fishing for kingfish in the surf. 

Awesome. Thanks for the help. 

If you go with a 6wt, my recommendation would be to look for a "saltwater" 6.  These come with a full wells grip, a sturdier reel seat, and a short fighting butt.  For the species you mention and the flies you intend to throw, you would be set up perfectly with a salty 6w.

everyone here seems to have the topic covered.  I just want to add that if there is any chance of you hooking something bigger in the surf like a bull red etc. then you may want to be prepared for that possibility but I wouldn't go nuts.  I typically lean towards a heavier rod than needed in salt just because I know the day I bring a 6wt is the day I hook a 40 pound cow striper and lose it.

9ft 6WT would be perfect Sage XI 3 XI 2

I use a old saltwater RPLX catch stripers albies and bonito on mine no problems..

got 7 bonito on it last week

FDAFF406-5E43-4BBE-ABFA-5B49DDAFD356.jpeg

As a practical matter, one fly rod is either one rod too many or the beginning of a collection of fly rods.  I would be tempted to start with a 6wt for the salt applications you mention and also for LMB, and, as someone else suggested, two spools, one with floating line and one with sinking.  If fly fishing "takes", then your next rod can be an 8 or 9 wt if you are questing reds, stripers, or similar, or a 4 wt if you head up into the hills for trout, which are often the end game for small fish nerds.