"Free" storage containers

Rate this topic

Ben Lippen

When I was a wee little Lippen, my dad, and every other man I knew had a bench with a shelf over it. And screwed to the bottom of that shelf was jar lids. To hold the jars that had all of them screws and nails and such.

We've come a long way since then.

I've  gone from jars to coffee cans to now, big plastic jugs to hold a few pounds.  Coffee, and there's big cat litter buckets with good lids that hold a krap load of stuff.

For small boxes, the best I've ever encountered are the GRK / Kreg's. 

They are well designed, and hold up well.

Who's got a good one?

I save almost all of our jars and plastic containers we get food in.  The square containers the mac salad comes in are nice.  We use the cat litter buckets for just about everything.  I even have a whole box of baby food jars.  The big plastic ragu spaghetti sauce jars are good too

I started keeping the big plastic jars for nuts. They are about the perfect size for the larger screw and nail boxes. I really wish the manufacturers would make better containers... The cardboard boxes don't hold up at all. I usually duct tape them when I get them. 

I have huge pretzel jars holding change. I'm sure they'd do well holding nuts, bolts and screws etc. 

21 hours ago, DerrickT said:

I save almost all of our jars and plastic containers we get food in.  The square containers the mac salad comes in are nice.  We use the cat litter buckets for just about everything.  I even have a whole box of baby food jars.  The big plastic ragu spaghetti sauce jars are good too

The food containers last a year at most in my experience. Too thin. They get brittle and crack pretty quick.

6 hours ago, Scallywag said:

I started keeping the big plastic jars for nuts. They are about the perfect size for the larger screw and nail boxes. I really wish the manufacturers would make better containers... The cardboard boxes don't hold up at all. I usually duct tape them when I get them. 

I have huge pretzel jars holding change. I'm sure they'd do well holding nuts, bolts and screws etc. 

"Cardboard" nail/screw boxes are sheet. I often hafta do the same with tape. But I try to transfer them to a GRK or Kreg box as soon as possible. Clear boxes are much easier to deal with.

On 8/24/2019 at 6:00 PM, Ben Lippen said:

The food containers last a year at most in my experience. Too thin. They get brittle and crack pretty quick.

"Cardboard" nail/screw boxes are sheet. I often hafta do the same with tape. But I try to transfer them to a GRK or Kreg box as soon as possible. Clear boxes are much easier to deal with.

Yep.  Peanut butter containers I get about a year depending on what I use it for.  Usually ends up dropping and cracking. Ok for wire nuts and other light weight electrical stuff.  The spaghetti jars are alittle better.  Actually have been using them to store sinkers in and haven't broke any of those yet.  The smaller mac salad containers I use for small parts or soaking small parts if they are to big for a glass jar.  Couple uses and they are shot.

I am just starting to use the urine sample bottles that you get at a dr's visit. (unused of course) I am finding them great for terminal tackle in my fish bag, Strong little buggers too. Just ask and they will give you a couple.

Sterile too !!! :D

urine.jpg

You’re not some crazy uncle you know!

I'm so glad I don't live in the fact-less bizarro world you live in...just sayin'.

16 hours ago, Stonesipher said:

I am just starting to use the urine sample bottles that you get at a dr's visit. (unused of course) I am finding them great for terminal tackle in my fish bag, Strong little buggers too. Just ask and they will give you a couple.

Sterile too !!! :D

urine.jpg

When I am only going out for a bit I use these for gulp. 

cleaning out stuff from my pops garage

there weremetal containers from Butter Cookies filled with nails, screws, brackets etc..

along with tall Tetra fish food containers filled as well

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

My grandfather used to keep small brads and screws in the glass test tubes with stopper in which he got his good cigars. all stored in a cedar box. I  grew up with a dad that used all kinds of jars and bottles and old margarine containers.  And yes, I still have a couple of jar and cans - mostly for unsorted hardware that I just haven't gotten around to sorting-  and I may never :)  They are where I go when I can't find something in my sorted stuff.  I've also tried the cabinet with the little plastic bins.And baby jars, and reusable plastic containers, etc.  Despite being pretty darn frugral,I've found my favorite storage is in tackle box like solutions.  I have one that is a small briefcase thing- Kobalt I believe that has multiple removable boxes inside that each hold about a pound box of screws.  The other one holds 4 Plano style boxes.  Total investment is probably less than $25-30 and they work great when I take stuff from the shop outside/n the car.  So while I'd love to use a recycled bins, these suitcases work best for me.