Angler #1

Keeping and passing on the traditions

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

from another time brings me to a point upon where I post this / We had a discussion recently about the Lepers a group of fishermen who fished behind Play land in Bourne many years a go and we received some information from Trout Man about an old picture he had sitting in his collection of some of those who made up the group. Since he was among the group, some here wanted to see some old photos. I received those Photos in the mail today and now will need to find some one willing to get them on this post . The  fishermen in the group picture I recognized are Brad[Hawghunter] Pohler  Owner /Inventor of Hawghunter lures, Joe Cavenaugh[Joey] [Trout Man]  and Bob [Huff] Langley [the one and only one] The ones I do not remember are Richie ,[Derellict} Moore  Jim Lydon[Jimmy] and Billy ,[Mr. Canal].Doyon . It is with great anticipation that we get this photo up here so that we can further discuss some of the old times when it meant you fished with some ethics . Along with some old faces here we may get perhaps a better picture of what it meant to be a Leper

Thanks Rob what you have posted for me is part of a group that fished behind play land for the most part, made sure that the area was always policed and they went by the name of the LEPERS. Thanks to JOE Cavenough [Trout man for sending me the picture for a little moment in another time on past history by some well know canal rats that fished and drank hard, but complete respected the resource we were all blessed to fish. many times you could find some of the lepers over at Marthas Vineyard or at South Cape fishing and they would often spend a little time taking a travel break at Bell road after a long hard week end of fishing . Another time another part of canal history worth recalling and appreciating of what was once good times when for the most part poachers went for a swim if they got caught and or those would attempt to bully any one from a location they were set up and catching fish . They learned very fast to follow the rules of the road or go some where else to fish.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, SkunkLuvver said:

The guy in the middle looks like he has a formidable grip!

That would be trout man and catching fish of size

Edited by Angler #1

The red pickup belonged to the Hawg Hunter. I'd say the photo is from 1984 or 1985. That would be when Bill Thomas started running Cape Cod Charlie's and had those hats made that Jimmy Lydon is wearing.

On 9/17/2019 at 5:43 PM, Angler #1 said:

Thanks Rob what you have posted for me is part of a group that fished behind play land for the most part, made sure that the area was always policed and they went by the name of the LEPERS. Thanks to JOE Cavenough [Trout man for sending me the picture for a little moment in another time on past history by some well know canal rats that fished and drank hard, but complete respected the resource we were all blessed to fish. many times you could find some of the lepers over at Marthas Vineyard or at South Cape fishing and they would often spend a little time taking a travel break at Bell road after a long hard week end of fishing . Another time another part of canal history worth recalling and appreciating of what was once good times when for the most part poachers went for a swim if they got caught and or those would attempt to bully any one from a location they were set up and catching fish . They learned very fast to follow the rules of the road or go some where else to fish.  

kool pic...wish we could go back to those days when u could give someone a swimming lesson and a little fist sandwhich for a snack ..now your the one who gets in trouble while the poachers sue you...messed up world we live in folks