Mike Oliver

Casting Instruction

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Over the years I have often  suggested that the best solution to casting woes is not gear centred but learning centered.

So I listened to what I was saying to others. I have long been fascinated by spey casting.

I did not want to fall into the same trap as I had previously with the single hand rod and try the self teach route.

This is a ground floor opportunity to grove in a decent cast as apposed to one which might get me by. 

Yesterday I had my second lesson. Two casts Roll and single spey. Never realised just how difficult both casts  are if you are to do them correctly. The single spey has very few moves but I find it extremely challenging.

But I have the bug. What I quickly had confirmed was that without another to observe your cast you are totally blind to your mistakes. 

One of the best investments we can make is to get a great cast. To be able to cast well is a shear pleasure in its own right.

I appreciate that it is not possible for everyone to get lessons for a multitude of reasons.

I could not afford them in my younger years myself and there is not always a teacher close to home.

Currently I have to travel 126 miles each way so it is a big commitment both time and cost.

I strongly recommend that if you can find the resources to have lessons it is something that will bring you great rewards and a lot of fun along the way.

Mike

Heh slip

My buddy Mike G. was having a lesson before me. He was given a 9 foot 6 wt Sage Igniter and it was teamed with a Rio SH spey Line.

Hows about this. The set up worked great. We had a ****** wind and at times had to cast into it. 

Who would have thought unless you cast  this outfit yourself that a lightening fast rod could roll cast arrow head loops into a wind or circle C cast easily.

Often we are told you can’t easily teach with fast rods. Well Mike G did not know how fast this rod is he just picked it up and cast it pretty well.

I talked with the instructor at the end of the lesson and he prefers fast rods period. He said that slower or medium fast rods are not easier to cast and they can’t be more forgiving. You make a bad cast  with any action rod then it will be bad. No rod can fix it. It really is BS.

You know Mike and he has some serious health issues one being a bone on bone in his shoulder of his casting arm. And yet because he was being taught   good form he was casting with excellent loops and without unnecessary effort.

This after just one hour of good instruction. Mikes over 70 so who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks maybe needs a re think.

I had this preconception that sustained water anchored casts would be noisy with single hand set ups. Let’s just say I have a different view now having seen the set up work.

Not surprised you like it yourself and for the reasons you give.

The OH performance of this line was nice to. The rear end weight bias and slim front taper enable pretty gentle presentation.  

FWIW the TH rod he gave me to use is the fastest in the Sage range. Again because I am totally unfamiliar with modern spey  rods this did not faze me at all. My focus was trying to do as instructed so I did not notice I was casting with a very fast rod. Maybe if he had told me before the start this info could have effected me.

Two old dogs having fun learning new stuff. Hard to beat.

Mike

That sounds awesome. Did he start you off on the double and snap-t? I thought those were easier than the single which I am in no way good at, but they are static versus dynamic. I got a group lesson with Dec Hogan and it was fantastic. Lessons are totally worth it. 

Hey Mike is this teachers' name public or maybe PM me. I'm also an old dog & recovering from an auto accident ...

And thanks for all the TH info.

Posted (edited) · Report post

46 mins ago, frazerp said:

Hey Mike is this teachers' name public or maybe PM me. I'm also an old dog & recovering from an auto accident ...

And thanks for all the TH info.

He is a Master APPGAI Instructor. He gets to examine the Instructors at exam time.

The Guy is just such a brilliant casting coach as well as a world class caster. He is well into Atlantic Salmon fishing. It is a passion for him like Stripers are to us.

Sage and RIO did a day at my local reservoir Draycote in the spring this year and if you got lucky you could get an hour with Simon Gawesworth and a couple ,of other Sage Guys . I was too late but a few days before the event I got a call from the fishery manager to say they had a cancellation. Had my free hour and  fell in love with TH spey and am now on a new journey learning how to cast and fish for Atlantic Salmon,and all that goes with it.

Only prob is he is 3500 miles away from you. USA has great spey casters and teachers. You only have to put in single spey into google and it will throw up a number of them.

No probs on the TH front for the surf. That’s my passion and I enjoy sharing what knowledge and experience  I have. What’s good is that there is a group albeit small who feel the same way so there is now other guys who can help out to.

PM on its way.

mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

11 hours ago, kinigit said:

That sounds awesome. Did he start you off on the double and snap-t? I thought those were easier than the single which I am in no way good at, but they are static versus dynamic. I got a group lesson with Dec Hogan and it was fantastic. Lessons are totally worth it. 

Kinigit

First lesson we did Roll, Switch, Single and Double Spey.

Second two hour lesson the focus was just on those two casts. the Roll and Single Spey.

All the caste are special but have to admit I especially love the feeling of the initial lift and then rod sweep to set the anchor on the single Spey. 

Trying  to keep the cast connected is a big challenge. But challenges are good for us.

If you stay with it no reason why you can’t get good at both the water anchored  and touch and go airborne anchored casts.

I see you got the same buzz as me with the lessons. Until you do them you don’t realise what the effect can be. But everyone I speak to say they were pretty made up. As you say totally worth it.

Mike

Good decision! In skiing they say technique will get you home when your strength runs out but the opposite isn't true. Similar with casting - go get it!

Anyone know of any two-hand instruction available in SE Florida? Trying something so new and alien on my own is making for a very flat and long learning curve. Any of you TH guys have a place between Lauderdale and Ft Pierce? 

1 hour ago, tomkaz said:

Anyone know of any two-hand instruction available in SE Florida? Trying something so new and alien on my own is making for a very flat and long learning curve. Any of you TH guys have a place between Lauderdale and Ft Pierce? 

Tom

If I make it to Florida this winter I'd be happy to spend a few hours fishing and doing what I can to help out. You pick it up quick, not a hard platform to learn. On your own it can be very hard. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

search how to cast double handed rods-antti guttorm

he is teaching you 4 cast's,

you have to write down every cast on sepert sheet,what he do #1 then # 2,you can watch the video 10 times if you do not write that down there is no way you can remember that,

write that down and practise roll cast,this is  for me moust important with TH rod,

i have only 12' rod and i use  23' shooting head 750 grain and 10',T-14 line 170 grain.

i have # 1 to roll cast,lift the fly off water,

# 2  cast back

# 3 cast forvard deliver the line  90' with out har work

when i start cast roll i moove my hand back and flip rod forvard,

after that i use my top hand push back and forvard with out extending hands,

and pull botom hand oposit push hand,

i go from 11 a clock to 1 a clock,al the force come from push and pull hand.

when you learn that it is simple,

try force your top hand extend,

try with out extending top arm,it is much easier,and i get the same distance,

i cast on grass,and in the water up to my dingiling and it work same.

when you cast use glases and heat,

when you cast and wind gust hit you 90 degrees,the line fly back and you cast forvard,the shooting head and hook will hit your body.

you can cast strait in to wind but the side wind will kill you,you have to shoot the line oposit sholder from the wind.

i had no experience fly fishing.

Edited by snag777

Tomkaz

Hopefully someone will chime in. If not you have a system of qualified casting instructors in the USA which google should help you locate.

All of the guys I know surf TH fly rodding have had to teach themselves an OH cast. If you have a good single hand fly cast this is more doable than trying to teach yourself spey. Principles don’t change.

Most of the TH guys known to me are based in the north.

Pity we could not meet up when you were in the U.K.

Next time maybe.

mike