yemista

Reservoir

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, zak-striper said:

I've met them multiple times at the rez and even fished next to them. Traffic at the rez has gone up noticeably since they started their page. They've spot burned the place like crazy. And they have the same attitude of canal googans who think the more the merrier. They let members of their page post pics that spot burn the hell out of the place as well. I almost got kicked off their page when I called them out on their hypocrisy in regards to poorly handing fish. They have dozens of pics of themselves mishandling fish yet they were calling others out for mishandling fish.

 

They have the attitude that they discovered the rez and that they're giving us this great gift. I've been fishing there little longer than them. And I've met dozens of old-timers who've been fishing there for decades and who fish the place better than they do.

 

Their page is doing more harm than good. At it's basic essence, it's a brag site for the two of them. As of today there are 4000+ followers of the page.

 

Fortunately, it actually takes fishing skills to do well there which discourages many. It's not like the canal where you can walk 50' from a parking lot and catch a 30lb striper on your very first cast ever.

I've followed those guys on FB too. Don't they have a line of plugs they sell also?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 mins ago, bob_G said:

Don't they have a line of plugs they sell also?

I don't know if they actually sell them. They have pictures of the plugs they & their friend(s) have made and pics of fish they've caught with them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard skunk there today.

Sometimes you just don't catch any, and some days you get the hard skunk.

Today was the hard kind.

 

I got a fanatical 13 year old fishin' buddy that had high hopes for his last hurrah of summer.

He wanted to join the conga line at a popular saltwater funny destination. I couldn't bare fighting the crowd, opted to change it up and hit that res instead. 

Damn, dad made the wrong call! There was not a fish to be had for love nor money. Not a bass. Not a trout. Not a damn kivver.

Granted, we're not res experts, but we can usually stick something. It was stinko.

I'm sure the kid silently was bummed we didn't do what he wanted. 

 

At least he did crack the res code earlier this season.

20190614_115251.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure the gaining popularity of the res is not off of just one facebook page ran by the brothers. Part of it can be attributed to OTW reports over the last decade as they mention the res on every weekly reports during the spring and fall.They even mentioned some of the gates. Anyways, it's a big place and you got to put in a lot of time. Most weekend warriors won't bother to put in the time and effort but it can be really frustrating on some days where you can't even find a parking spot or a place to cast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, Dah seee said:

I'm sure the gaining popularity of the res is not off of just one facebook page ran by the brothers. Part of it can be attributed to OTW reports over the last decade as they mention the res on every weekly reports during the spring and fall.They even mentioned some of the gates. Anyways, it's a big place and you got to put in a lot of time. Most weekend warriors won't bother to put in the time and effort but it can be really frustrating on some days where you can't even find a parking spot or a place to cast.

Sounds like another place we know. :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not just 1 Facebook page, they are on other social media platforms as well with the same intensity.  They have definitely had a big effect on the increased traffic at the res.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problem with crowds at the res and I fish it almost daily. It's not as crowded as it is made to seem. Most likely because fish are not handed to you and you need to spend time and work for them. Something that nobody likes to do so they give up. I am also always the first one at my spots though....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I try to make it up there a few times a year especially seeing that my nephews live in Bolton, and most of the time on week nights there’s almost no one at gates that require more then a 5 minute walk.  

 

The times I do run into people they’re mostly pleasant, except for the couple that told me to get F’d when I told wearing waders and being up to there waist in the water wasn’t the best idea.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got an average Laker on metal. Missed one and had another whack. All on metals. A bait guy had a run. Another one caught 3 lakers and a fat rainbow all on metals. First trip of the year felt good. I tried to get my buddy his first laker and salmon but he got the skunk 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

30 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I have no problem with crowds at the res and I fish it almost daily. It's not as crowded as it is made to seem. Most likely because fish are not handed to you and you need to spend time and work for them. Something that nobody likes to do so they give up. I am also always the first one at my spots though....

The only reason the rez hasn't turned into the canal is because it's actually often hard to fish there, especially windy days. However, I always respect the one hour before sunrise rule yet when I get to some spots that produce, and require a bit of a hike, there will be a few guys who already have their bait rod spreads set up and in the water. 

 

Yes OTW has been burning the place for years. However, the brothers are only making things worse. During April and November, I won't fish weekend mornings because I know most places I want to fish will be packed, even when I'm following the rules. I take time off during those months so I can fish mid-week to avoid the report chasers.

Edited by zak-striper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, ne_dan said:

except for the couple that told me to get F’d when I told wearing waders and being up to there waist in the water wasn’t the best idea.  

The DCR has a hotline just like the EPOs have a hotline. I was there last year when I saw some older Russian/Eastern European guy biking the trails with a bike that was practically a canal cruiser. I told him bikes weren't allowed but he just smiled at me like he didn't understand me. I called the DCR hotline and told them where he was heading on the trails and what he looked like. I believe I heard the DCR kicked him out. I even saw a maga hat wearing type who was walking his dog along the shoreline. I told him dogs weren't allowed in the rez because they swim in the water or pee in the water. He told me his dog doesn't do that with a tone that was along lines of "eff off, I'll do whatever I want". I should have taken a picture of him. I considered it. I also have a hat video camera when I'm there. I should have filmed the a-hole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 mins ago, zak-striper said:

The only reason the rez hasn't turned into the canal is because it's actually often hard to fish there, especially windy days. However, I always respect the one hour before sunrise rule yet when I get to some spots that produce, and require a bit of a hike, there will be a few guys who already have their bait rod spreads set up and in the water. 

I've never had a problem being the first one at the gate where we fished when I get there a hour before. Maybe the other popular gate that the Facebook clowns like to fish which I will not name is more crowded and has the early morning trespassers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.