bobber

another striper bust at Block

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

OTW is reporting that 2 guys with Massachusetts commercial licenses were busted with 38 fish taken illegally. out of compliance with both RI and MA regs.   (I won't link the article, but its easy enough to find.)  seems the rampant poaching may finally have gotten the EPO's attention.   now lets see what happens with guys fishing in the EEZ

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mass needs to clean up their licensing for the comm guys.   this fishery is in DECLINE(!)  theres no debating that anymore.  stricter regs are coming.  so these guys who are bilking the system under the guise of being a "commercial rod 'n reel fisherman" need be purged from the system..... out of state guys, part-timers, "pays-for-gas-on-the-boat" guys.  

 

and the shore based license needs to go too...  I've had guys who have these licenses tell me "gimme a call if you catch a big one-  I'll give ya 20 bucks for  it"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, bobber said:

Mass needs to clean up their licensing for the comm guys.   this fishery is in DECLINE(!)  theres no debating that anymore.  stricter regs are coming.  so these guys who are bilking the system under the guise of being a "commercial rod 'n reel fisherman" need be purged from the system..... out of state guys, part-timers, "pays-for-gas-on-the-boat" guys.  

 

and the shore based license needs to go too...  I've had guys who have these licenses tell me "gimme a call if you catch a big one-  I'll give ya 20 bucks for  it"

Strong statement. What should they do about recreational fishing? Do you punish all coms because of a few?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sandworm said:

I know some one that there license have been canceled for life for multiple poaching charges.

No need for multiple offenses, IMO. I don't think we need the death penalty for some mope that hits the water with their white rod and bucket, without figuring out there's a license involved or regs in play. Slap them on the wrist once before you drop the hammer. If you know enough to apply for a comm license, poaching isn't a result of ignorance, it's pure malfeasance. One and done, banned. Let the next guy learn the lesson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should lose the boat, truck and anything else used to poach like they did. 

 

Greed at this level, when the fishery is in the shape that it is - bass are screwed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, Drew C. said:

They should lose the boat, truck and anything else used to poach like they did. 

 

Greed at this level, when the fishery is in the shape that it is - bass are screwed.

Plus $1000 fine per fish. Betcha that will stop most. The existing fines and penalties are a joke and are little more than a "cost of business".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 9:26 PM, chris koltz said:

Strong statement. What should they do about recreational fishing? Do you punish all coms because of a few?

In my opinion in shouldn’t even be a commercial fishery...in any state, or any time of year, in any degree. 

 

Captains and other commercial guys should have to go take their business to focusing on other fish species, or quite simply find another type of job. 

 

My biased is not just against commercial guys and commercial fishing stripers in general... Something needs to be done about the recreational poachers, quite often many of whom have interesting last names. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.