HugeDinghy

Single tail hook vs treble for exotics

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

When targeting  Bones and albies specifically. 

I find that a single tail hook ( epoxy jigs, DD’s, hogy heavy jigs) far out performs the little trebles that come with them, in regard to the number fish that come unbuttoned. Hook up rate is comparable but at least a  1/4 of the fish hooked on the Stock treble come off.... sub 10% with a single. 

What say you? 

I can't recall ever dropping a hooked funny fish. And I would remember losing one, because I hook so few of the darn things...

1 hour ago, NewEngBoy011 said:

Singles are bunk, it’s a scam 

For the funnies, a friend went toe to toe with a buddy to experiment last year during peak Albie shore fishing, fun, I pulled the treble straw and saw 4:1 hook and land ratio, I’m not opposed to singles and quite frankly prefer to catch any fish on a single, but watching him swear up and down the gammit, when they kept hitting and missing was enough for me to stick with trebles.....as for bass, this season done 90% of damage on bigger bass  with singlehook spjs and eel jigs, I’ve been fishing less hours but more nights making fewer casts around certain windows with single hook jigs, been successful for the state of fishery we are in, this is just my opinion and my experience, for others I’m sure it could be quite opposite yielding same or better results 

I haven’t lost many albies or bonito on epoxy minnows with trebles, but I do miss a lot of bass. I may try singles, or larger trebles, as an experiment. 

I run quality trebles on mine. Sure it's occasionally a bloody mess, but I'm not cryin. They're funny fish. 

Extremely limited comparison involved a guy running singles the other day for bonito.

Respnses heard:

Damn! Dammit! Dammit Again!!!

As fish missed the jig on multiple occasions 

Posted (edited) · Report post

They definitely miss more initial

hookups, but also definitely stay buttoned better. It’s a trade off. 

Edited by HugeDinghy

Dingus, what is your largest striped bass off the beach on artificials.........Mine is 28 lbs May 13th,first day of a nor

aster on a Chartreuse Big Ed metal lip swimmer.......Seaside ParkNJ...........happy day for me....

I've switched all of my go to albie lures to single hooks with bucktail.  And I use the float and fly and I don't usually miss too many fish, but I'll keep all of this in mind if I'm missing fish.  LJShroe was fishing a topwater with single inline hooks last night and he was blaming it on nearsighted fish...

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 8/22/2019 at 9:06 PM, HugeDinghy said:

7E0DB99D-507F-4655-9346-C6A3ED4B08B5.jpeg

What size BG are you using? I picked up a 3500 spooled 15# PP and a 9’ Tica. 

Edited by PlumFishing