Bryan McKay

Battle 2 3000 windknots

18 posts in this topic

Firstly my apologies to admin for originally posting in perhaps the wrong section of this forum.

My story is that i started using a Battle 2 3000 with spiderwire on my 7' Ugly Stik Elite last week. Filled spool to approx 80% capacity. Terribly bothered with wind knots. Probably lost approx 30 metres line already. Line lay on spool looked fine so did not bother with either of spare washers in box. Seems to be spilling line over lip of spool as i retrieve which results in a right 'birds nest' on next cast. I do not close bail arm manually as I prefer to do this by hitting my distance and closing bail by turning handle. 

Would you advise trying a different brand of braid or perhaps changing or adding one or both of the spare washers? 

I have used quite a few brands of reel in my time and never had this issue! 

I love the smooth action of my Penn Battle 2 but I am really at my wits end! Thanks in advance.

Bryan. 

20190815_181826.jpg

Hi Mark d, 

I put the line on under good tension on the drag. Just held spool of braid on a drift pin in the vice under slight pressure and made sure reel was fairly parallel. 

I load all my reels the same way without any issues. Had good even line lay distribution on the spool when I was done. I have read another post where fireline made a difference so i have gone out and purchased a roll today. Will update you on how it performs on my next outing. 

Kind regards 

B.

yes, hope you check back with results. i am a penn guy but i have to admit i get windknots when i first put on line because i usually put on a little too much, but i see from your photos your reel is not overfilled so hmmmm

Could you take a pic of the underside of the top of the spool. There's a fill mark on there. It looks like you are way underfilled. I normally overfill like Mark D and lose some line with new reel. 

Are you checking carefully that you aren't getting a loop of line over top of spool? It sounds like not because you are closing bail while lure is still in air but still worth checking, especially considering how underfilled your reel appears to be.  

Hi J Butts, 

Thanks for your reply. 

My spool was originally filled to the black mark but I have had to cut off so much braid it is now only running at about 50% capacity. I saw a lot of comments recommending Berkeley Fireline so i have respooled with 150 mt of fireline today which brought me up to capacity again. I will test it this evenings and let you know how it does as this issue is driving me mad. Thanks again for your response. 

20190823_125809.jpg

Each reel is different, but most of them require absolute diligence regarding the first loop of braid crossing over the spool when you engage the bail. 100% of the time you must check to make sure the line is NOT crossing the spool top when you start reeling. Since I fish a lot in the dark I've learned to do this by pulling the line immediately after I engage the bail until the drag slips - this ensures that the braid is not over the spool top.

If you forget one single time - and the braid crosses over the spool top - and you retrieve the entire cast with that loop trapped over the spool top, on your very next cast you are going to get an enormous erroneously named "wind knot" - even if there's no wind :)

TimS

20 hours ago, Bryan McKay said:

Firstly my apologies to admin for originally posting in perhaps the wrong section of this forum.

My story is that i started using a Battle 2 3000 with spiderwire on my 7' Ugly Stik Elite last week. Filled spool to approx 80% capacity. Terribly bothered with wind knots. Probably lost approx 30 metres line already. Line lay on spool looked fine so did not bother with either of spare washers in box. Seems to be spilling line over lip of spool as i retrieve which results in a right 'birds nest' on next cast. I do not close bail arm manually as I prefer to do this by hitting my distance and closing bail by turning handle. 

Would you advise trying a different brand of braid or perhaps changing or adding one or both of the spare washers? 

I have used quite a few brands of reel in my time and never had this issue! 

I love the smooth action of my Penn Battle 2 but I am really at my wits end! Thanks in advance.

Bryan. 

20190815_181826.jpg

I have this same reel and this happened to me a month ago.  Horrible... first time I have ever had wind knots and it was infuriating.  I switched out my line to Daiwa JBraid x8 and haven't had an issue since.  I can't remember what I was using before but it was some junky stuff, I think KastKing or something.

Another reason I stick with a good mono.I had the same problems years ago when I first tried braid, did have a different reel . I just don't like fooling around with my line when fishing. If I want that , I can always use my conventional reels for a nice birds nest.lol

Spiderwire is quite a bit stiffer that most other braids I've used ,especially when new.  I personally close  my bail manually after the plug hits the water and pull rod tip up til the line come tight,then reel. If you are plugging topwater lures it is especially important that loops or lose line doesn't build up on the spool,that can cause the cast to pull off several extra loops and  cause a wind knot. It's all about finesse in the cast.

Hi Guys, 

I think I have cracked it. The Penn seems to like the fireline much more than the spiderwire! I also put the spare thicker washer on to reel spindle along with the washer that was on originally.  Either way I spun with a flying C  for about 2 hours tonight without a single tangle! Not sure exactly if it was the new line or the additional washer or perhaps a combination of both but I'm a happy fisherman again. And just to put the icing on the cake I attached a pic of the beautiful 7lb Atlantic salmon which i managed to catch towards the end of my session. 

Hope my experience helps others who are in the same boat so to speak. Thank you all for the advice! 

20190823_200150.jpg

J Butts, Please see attached image. Spool lists braid capacity 130 yards/30lb 

l put on 150mt/30lb. 

No backing used. Kept within the line marker. Some might say I should have backed it out and loaded it to the lip of the spool but I only fish a narrow river so I feel 150mt is plenty plus it throws the line in a cast beautifully. Line lay is still fairly parallel even though i have used both of the thicker size washer. Berkeley Fireline seems to have made a huge difference as well to be fair. Tight lines sir.

B.20190824_075237.jpg.a8a067cac7c8a6c91dccaad9007151d0.jpg

Never had a wind knot in my life and thats with over 60 years of casting. Had plenty of in line knots but they never had anything to do with the wind.

So called wind knots are caused by a few things. Overloading a spool is part of it but the main cause is flipping the bail over. We fill our spools under controlled pressure and we usually fill them right to the lip of the spool. More line means more everything. Problems begin when we cast and retrieve time and time again. We don't have the same pressure on the line and the line lays on the spool much more loose. Then it happens. We make a cast then flip the bail and one little loose loop of line comes partway off the spool and as we reel in the line lays over that one little loose loop sticking off the spool. This is what it looks like.

5d631dedf2b20_009(1).JPG.ecd26ab6c23c496e36eb0bfc384c1ab4.JPG

Then as we cast the line will keep hitting that loose loop until it finally gets pulled off the spool before it's supposed to and we end up with the so called dreaded windt knot. This is what it looks like before we make the mistake of pulling the line tight.

5d631e06ddc37_011(1).JPG.c388c9663caf33ce06981f259b235315.JPG

There is a way of just about eliminating these knots from happening. After every cast flip the bail over by hand and before you even touch the handle take your hand and pull the line tight. Most if not all loose loops form with the first turn of the handle. And don't fill your spools to the very edge of the spool lip.